8N 3 point lift question ....

/ 8N 3 point lift question .... #1  

Southernspeed

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Furgeson 2850M
My hydraulics need rebuilding, it struggles to lift even moderate loads and bleeds down quickly when I shut the tractor off.
But when these are rebuilt, are they capable of lifting a 60" brush hog, 72" finish mower? What about a 60" blade?
I'm just trying to decide if it's worth rebuilding it to do these jobs or leaving it as a 'towing implement' tractor and continue using my MF2850 for the lifting work? Any insight appreciated!

/ 8N 3 point lift question .... #2  
Sure it is. 8N hydraulics, when working properly, can lift ~800 pounds and it will lift all three implements you listed above. Parts are easy to get and how-to information is available at some websites and on YouTube.

/ 8N 3 point lift question .... #3  
The 8N I had handled a 6' bush hog and 7' back blade and the lift was in less than good condition so after an R&R of the hydraulics it should handle your implements with ease. I would try rebuilding the lift cylinder first, it maybe all that is really needed.

/ 8N 3 point lift question ....
Thank you gentlemen. I'll put that job on my long list of Spring farm stuff!

/ 8N 3 point lift question .... #5  
Thank you gentlemen. I'll put that job on my long list of Spring farm stuff!
As John suggested, start with the top cover and check the piston. The factory piston had 3 steel rings. Rather than a ring job on it, I would replace it with a piston from the '53-54 NAA with an o-ring and leather backup washer. It will seal better. Also take a hard look at the cam follower pin. It's supposed to be round but worn ones will have a flat spot on them. Some folks get by with pulling the pin and sticking the worn end back into the hole but I would tend to replace it on mine. The I&T service manual will walk you through making the necessary adjustments to get both draft and position control working as new.

Attachments

• 8N top cover removed, showing piston-cylinder and linkage.jpg
    8N top cover removed, showing piston-cylinder and linkage.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 8N tractor-cam-follower-pin-worn end showing.jpg
    8N tractor-cam-follower-pin-worn end showing.jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 20
Last edited: