8N Ford Tractor Trailer

/ 8N Ford Tractor Trailer #1  

Dacus

Advice, please, on a suitable trailer to haul a 1949 8N Ford tractor behind a 1997 Toyota Tacoma six cylinder straight drive 4wd equipped with a towing package. Thanks!

/ 8N Ford Tractor Trailer #2  
It has a listed weight of 2410 to 4043 lbs. if that helps. I would guess the upper end of the spectrum is with calcium in the tires and weights. Take a look at the videos on safe tractor loading if you haven't already.

/ 8N Ford Tractor Trailer #3  
Get yourself a tandem axle, 7k capacity equipment trailer. Electric brakes on one, or both axles, and an electronic brake controller in the cab of the Toyota.

Make sure you have a frame-mounted Class 3 or 4 reciever hitch, not simply a hitch ball added to the step bumper...

/ 8N Ford Tractor Trailer #4  
I haul my co workers 8N with loaded tires and would guess it is right at 4,000#. I use my 18' 7,000# car hauler behind my 1/2 ton V8 Titan with no issues. I would say you can do it but you will probably need a weight distribution hitch.

All the other advise given is spot on.

Chris

/ 8N Ford Tractor Trailer
Thanks to one and all. The advice seems pretty consistent and I will take it all under consideration. Might be time for a larger truck.

/ 8N Ford Tractor Trailer #6  
According to my towing guide book you max tow rating is 5,000# for a 97 Taco 4x4. I think looking for a larger truck is a smart thing.

Chris

/ 8N Ford Tractor Trailer
An adequate trailer and the weight of the tractor will well exceed that. That probably resolves the issue for me. One thing leads to another, right? Thanks.

/ 8N Ford Tractor Trailer #8  
An adequate trailer and the weight of the tractor will well exceed that. That probably resolves the issue for me. One thing leads to another, right? Thanks.

One has to embrace these opportunities to upgrade, they don't happen everyday!! ;)

/ 8N Ford Tractor Trailer #9  
yep.. half ton truck and a 16' trailer with brakes at a minimum for those laods..

soundguy

/ 8N Ford Tractor Trailer #10  
I use to tow an old Harry Ferguson about the same as an 8N.18' trailer with single axle brakes With a 1/2 ton dodge with a 360.My dodge struggled going up steep grades. It might be a little tough on that 6 cyl