8n Hood Original or Aftermarket?

/ 8n Hood Original or Aftermarket? #2  
1, some of the repops are thin metal.

2, look for embossed script.

3, does the hood really look 66 years old. look at rolled edges and screw holes for signs of dotted rust, etc.

/ 8n Hood Original or Aftermarket?
1, some of the repops are thin metal.

2, look for embossed script.

3, does the hood really look 66 years old. look at rolled edges and screw holes for signs of dotted rust, etc.

Based on your info, I'm going to say it looks OEM. On my hood, where the head lights would normally bolt on, there are knock outs (similar to electrical boxes). The knock outs have not been knocked out.

Does this tell you anything of significance? This is really the only reason posted this thread. I'm thinking that maybe these knockouts are adding some value?

/ 8n Hood Original or Aftermarket? #4  
Most (if not all) N's were shipped without lights. The lighting kit was a dealer installed option. My 1950 came with original tin - It still had the knock out plugs in the dog legs.

Most (if not all) N's were shipped without lights. The lighting kit was a dealer installed option. My 1950 came with original tin - It still had the knock out plugs in the dog legs.

So, should I resist the urge to knock them out and install lights? I did want to install lights, but its not like the 8n is the only tractor we have. It is a toy rather than a tractor I would pull out of the shed if I really need to get something done.

/ 8n Hood Original or Aftermarket? #6  
Personal preference but I like the way it looks with lights installed as shown on my 1950 below:

Daisy Rear.JPG

Very nice! It looks like you have a Sherman too! Mine has a Sherman and a foot throttle. I just wish I had a way to rig up some power steering. I fashioned an electric power steering unit on my 860. It has better steering than most of my tractors. Unfortunately, the N doesn't have space for the electric steering unit.

/ 8n Hood Original or Aftermarket? #8  
Thank you for the kind words. It came to me with a Howard auxiliary transmission and I added a Sherman Combo when restoring it. First gear and low range on the Sherman and Howard really make it creep. You can see the Howard shifter in photo below. This too is a barn queen and it will never work another day as long as I have it. Fortunately I also have two other tractors that are my working girls.

Howard.JPG

To make yours easier to steer, you may wish to consider shortening the Pittman arms a couple of inches. It doesn't hurt turning radius and reduces steering effort considerably.

/ 8n Hood Original or Aftermarket? #9  
If you have a bumper, you can put lights there too.

Knockouts are only there once!