8n leaking gear fluid out from around the PTO

/ 8n leaking gear fluid out from around the PTO #11  
When looking at any 8N here are the things that get expensive quick. First make sure the 3 point lift works right. Just go done fixing one on Monday. Next check the steering linkages and slop in the steering box at the end of the steering wheel shaft. Another item that can get costly is wheels. Make sure they are in good shape, especially the rears. Many times they were filled with Calcium and rot.

3 point lift repair is around $600
Steering repair is around $600
Wheels can cost as much as $1800 if new rubber is needed.

I have a co-worker, one of the 8N's I told you I transported in another thread, that had all these items go. He now has nearly $4000 in a $1500 tractor.

Chris

/ 8n leaking gear fluid out from around the PTO #12  
new seal is 13$.. take 10m to change. new assy is about 110$ plus shipping.. takes about 5m to change. need a 25 cent flange gasket..a nd need to check bearing before you do anything.. if bearing is bad.. jst get the new assy.

your call.

soundguy

/ 8n leaking gear fluid out from around the PTO #13  
When looking at any 8N here are the things that get expensive quick. First make sure the 3 point lift works right. Just go done fixing one on Monday. Next check the steering linkages and slop in the steering box at the end of the steering wheel shaft. Another item that can get costly is wheels. Make sure they are in good shape, especially the rears. Many times they were filled with Calcium and rot.

I have a co-worker, one of the 8N's I told you I transported in another thread, that had all these items go. He now has nearly $4000 in a $1500 tractor.

Chris

ouch. at 600$ he must have just bought a new steering box. they usually rebuild for about 85$ for all new thrust bearings and bushings, seals etc.. plus a quart of 00EP grease..

11.2-28' on a 6 loop rim are 350$ delivered anythere on the east coast. and centers rarely go bad.

your buddy must not have looked too hard for parts or repair options. shoulda sent him here! or ytmag.. actually. :)
reman N pump is a couple hundred.. lift cover costs another couple if it is shot.. if not shot, under 100$ to reman on your bench.

soundguy

/ 8n leaking gear fluid out from around the PTO #14  
ouch. at 600$ he must have just bought a new steering box. they usually rebuild for about 85$ for all new thrust bearings and bushings, seals etc.. plus a quart of 00EP grease..

11.2-28' on a 6 loop rim are 350$ delivered anythere on the east coast. and centers rarely go bad.

your buddy must not have looked too hard for parts or repair options. shoulda sent him here! or ytmag.. actually. :)
reman N pump is a couple hundred.. lift cover costs another couple if it is shot.. if not shot, under 100$ to reman on your bench.

soundguy

yea somebody got to him expcially on the hyd. it would take about 250 to do everything in there and that including new oil and chaning the cyl. piston from the metal rings to the new piston with the rubber rings

/ 8n leaking gear fluid out from around the PTO #15  
yea somebody got to him expcially on the hyd. it would take about 250 to do everything in there and that including new oil and chaning the cyl. piston from the metal rings to the new piston with the rubber rings

The wheel busted in half while he was mowing in his yard. The calcium killed so much grass he had to have a guy come with a Back Hoe and dig it out and haul in fresh top soil the next year to get grass to grow again. Anyway, he had a tire company come out and put new rears on at that time, remove the calcium in the other tire, and put new wheels on it all around. They were all in bad shape. I think you are right on the price, maybe it was $800 installed.

As for the lift and the steering box he ordered the steering box on the net. It was a rebuilt but looked brand new. I put it in and charged him fair for labor. After I was done it still had lots of play in the little arms that come down by your feet to the steering linkage. Shortly after the lift stopped working.

I only live 20 miles from N-Complete. n-Complete I loaded it up on my trailer and took it in for him. He got the steering tightened up with some new parts and the lift rebuilt. When I went to pick it up I looked over the receipt and I remember it was high. Its his deal, all I was doing was transporting it.

Maybe N-Complete screwed him? Like I said, its his money.

By the way I just did a lift rebuild Monday on my neighbors 961. Not too hard and parts at N-Complete with gaskets and all was something like $15.

Chris

/ 8n leaking gear fluid out from around the PTO #16  
n complete is a bit pricey.. 8k+ for a tractor by them.. Yikes :)

them steering boxes are super easy to rebuild.

splitting the rim is common on abad one. again.. new rim, tire and tube is 350$ delivered to eastern US from tucker tire. great people

too bad your buddy didn't talk to me.. could saved him half that cabbage$ easilly.

soundguy

/ 8n leaking gear fluid out from around the PTO

Chris

Yeah...the last point you make is one that should be thoroughly considered. I've looked at a few dogs so far...today I'm heading out to look at a $3k dandy.

/ 8n leaking gear fluid out from around the PTO
I have a Question on here about a Pto shaft also. Yours I can answer. A seal will solve your problem. Remove the bolts on the back of the Tractor and the pto shaft will come out by pulling it. Drain the rear end fluid first of course! Your hydralics will lift faster in the cold if replaced with modern trans/hyd fluid. $500 dollars is cheap and in the day I would have bought it over the phone. The side mounted distributor is desirable to have on a 8n.

I found one for $350....with a cultivator and a brush hog...looks a mess though.

I haven't taken an engine apart since I was in the service 35 years ago. It might be a fun project but the cost could easily get out of hand...but on the other hand it I'd probably learn something...then there's the cost of transporting it.

/ 8n leaking gear fluid out from around the PTO #19  
then ya need a trailer.. and that makes a road trip.

some of the best fun I've had doing tractors is the road trip.

remember a 46 hr red eye round trip to mid west texas a buddy and me did to fetch a 950 ford trike I wanted. lots of talk time, coffee and road food.. get to see some of the country.

plenty of trips to lousiana and ga and sourounding states too. For me.. anything within about 4 states and 2-3 days I can usually swing with my work schedule.

soundguy