8N Sputters...New Plugs??

/ 8N Sputters...New Plugs?? #1  

8N_John

Silver Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8N
The 8N I just purchased will randomly sputter while I'm driving it...on average once a minute or so. Is there a simple reason for this. Does it just need new plugs? If so what are the best plugs to use?

/ 8N Sputters...New Plugs?? #2  
Does the 8N have it's standard 6-volt DC, positive ground electrical system? If so, sputter is pretty common, especially if you have problems with the fuel system too. There are about five or six things that can cause sputter:

1. Bad or dirty plugs
2. Out of adjustment or pitted points
3. Moisture in the distributor
4. Moisture or dirt on the outside of the distributor, plug wires, or spark plugs providing a jump path for the spark (Run the engine in the dark and see if you can see spark leakage.)
5. Bad or wrong type of plug wires
6. Bad carburetor adjustment (mostly sputters while idling)

If your tractor has been converted to a 12-volt DC, negative system, it normally makes the engine run smoother. My neighbor has a 6-volt Ford 600 and it has always sputtered. On the other hand, my old smoking Jubilee was 12-volt and idled very well. I think the hotter spark and antifoul adapters on the plugs worked very well on my Jubilee. Most of the time on my neighbor's 600 it's moisture in the distributor causing his problems. A cracked cap or loose distributor rotor button and also cause rough running.

The problem with a traditional ignition system is that it's the best right after a tune-up and rapidly will deteriorate, especially on an engine that is wide open to dirt, rain, and condensation. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ 8N Sputters...New Plugs?? #3  
Oem plugs were ch-h10.. try ch h12 or al-437.. they are the next hotter range.. better with unleaded fuel.

What year is this machine... the front mount coils are real iffy, and the ballast resistor connections can get dirty and drop primary voltage as well.

Soundguy

/ 8N Sputters...New Plugs??
It's a 1952 model.

In reference to checking for sparks when it's dark, I do see quick glow when cranking at the point where the battery cable bolts to the block.

/ 8N Sputters...New Plugs?? #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I do see quick glow when cranking at the point where the battery cable bolts to the block. )</font>

Would that be a 6-volt battery cable or a 12-volt battery cable? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Seriously, you need to get that connection to the block clean and tight. That probably has nothing at all to do with your sputter, but one day you might find the cable is welded to the block.

I'm talking about high voltage sparks around the distributor, coil, spark plugs or wires. Sometimes in total darkness when the tractor sputters, you can see a spark jump. That's the way I look for tiny arc-burned pinholes in spark plug wires when I can't see them otherwise. If your distributor cap is cracked, you might be able to see that too. Clean, dry, and properly adjusted are the three things most important to the tractor running perfectly with no sputter. There are lots of variables and you have to make sure everything is right. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ 8N Sputters...New Plugs?? #6  
While it is running and sputtering, pull out the choke slightly. If that smooths it out, then you are running a little lean. If that is the case, there are a few things that should be checked next...one thing at a time, try the choke trick.

/ 8N Sputters...New Plugs?? #7  
Yep.. choke enriches.. If it helps the sputtering either it is lean from a blocked jet, or a vacume leak.

enriched mix also helps a weak spark ignite. Weak spark can be bad plugs, bad wires, cap, rotoe, condensor, points, bad wire to/from the key switch, bad key switch itself, or even a bad battery ground.

Since you keep mentioning a glow around the battery ground strap.. remove it and clean it up. Also.. like jinman said.. if it is a 6v system, you really need heavy gauge like 1/0 cables.. not 4ga wimpy 12v battery cables.

Soundguy

I have changed the plugs and am going to change the wires as well. How hard is it to change the dist cap? Looks simple, but I've never done it.

Also, do I need to buy "Distributor Cap Hold Down Clip After Serial # 263843" for my 1952 model as well?

/ 8N Sputters...New Plugs?? #10  
If it is a late 8n, with the 5 nipple side mount distribuitor.. cap change is easy.. 2 flip up latches hold it down. Just keep the wies inthe right place.

( fire order is 1-2-4-3 if you get messed up. )

You would only need the clips if you have a broken one.

Soundguy