8N Steering Box

/ 8N Steering Box #1  

Nimrodtoo

Tractor
Ford 8N / MF1260
I'm rebuilding a steering box for my 52 8N, unfortunately I have to replace the steering shaft (the steering wheel was welded to the shaft). The new shaft (right) I received is quite different from the original (left) as seen in the photo. Once I put everything back together, the steering effort is way too high. I have a couple of questions/concerns.
Could this be causing the increased amount of effort to turn the shaft? If not, any ideas why the new shaft is so hard to spin?
Will the new shaft require more steering wheel rotation to make the same amount of change at the wheels?
I don't really want to take it apart again, but I guess I'll have to at this point.
Thanks in advance for any input!
Nim

Attachments

• IMG_2126.jpg
    IMG_2126.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 41
   / 8N Steering Box #2  
The new shaft should NOT be any more difficult to turn than the old one. Looks like they have updated the worm gear on the shaft, I assume you also upgraded the recirculating nut and ball bearings to match the upgraded shaft?

In fact it looks to me like the newer shaft should turn easier because it appears to have more mechanical advantage than the old worm.

/ 8N Steering Box
I replaced the whole assembly, worm gear with recirculating nut and bearings. Out of the box, it turns and moves perfectly. I agree that it should be easier to turn than the old one. It's just not whats really happening. Seems like the sectors are binding on either the wormshaft or the bushingssss. I'll start tearing it down again when the temps get out of the teens!

/ 8N Steering Box #4  
Pull the side shafts and see how it turns without them, if it turns easy then replace one at a time, could be the side shafts are binding or the adjustments are to tight.