8N Tire and Wheel Question

/ 8N Tire and Wheel Question #1  

spotco2

Tractor
Ford 8N
One of my rear tires has dry rotted pretty bad and the sidewall is separating on it. A local guy gave me 3 tires that are in better condition than mine along with tubes.

My tires are 12.4-28 but the ones that he gave me were 11.2-28.

I have a local tire shop that said they would break them down and mount them for $30.

But, will the 11.2 fit my wheels? I do not know exactly what width my wheels are (never had them torn down).

The local shop quoted $350 for a new tire and tube to match what I already have. Is that about right or is there a better place to buy tires?

Really not sure what my best option is here.

/ 8N Tire and Wheel Question #2  
11.2x28 tire will fit any rim that a 12.4 SHOULD be on, it will be a narrower tire and make the tractor sit a little lower than a 12.4 will. You probably will want to mount both sides if you decide to use the 11.2's. 11.2x28 tires are plenty of tread for an 8N but I would not use old tubes under any circumstances. Buy new tubes whatever your tire choice is.
$350 isn't a bad price for a tire & tube of that size in these times.

/ 8N Tire and Wheel Question #3  
the 11/ 28 tire is what came out on the 8n ford. might be the same wheel with a bigger tire. if the rim is wider, then the 11/28 tire will set a little flater giving you a better foot print an traction. You should run 11 to 12 lbs air pressure. if you have calicun in them for weight switch to antifreeze. Calicum will eat up metal.

/ 8N Tire and Wheel Question #4  
100% ditto what rick said. use new tubes.. it's too hard to fight a rear to get it on and off only to have a 60 year old tube let go on ya a day later. and yes.. I'd mount both 11.2

if you got them free.. that was AWESOME.

350 for a new one is decent price.

11.2x28 tire will fit any rim that a 12.4 SHOULD be on, it will be a narrower tire and make the tractor sit a little lower than a 12.4 will. You probably will want to mount both sides if you decide to use the 11.2's. 11.2x28 tires are plenty of tread for an 8N but I would not use old tubes under any circumstances. Buy new tubes whatever your tire choice is.
$350 isn't a bad price for a tire & tube of that size in these times.

/ 8N Tire and Wheel Question
Thanks for the info folks. I was worried that I might have to replace a rim if I changed tire size.

I'm running this thing through some woods that have been grown up for at least 20 years, so I know the tires are going to take some abuse. I think I'm just going to run what I've got until I get things cleaned up a little more before I change tires out. At least now I know my options.

/ 8N Tire and Wheel Question #6  
as long as it isn't the bead seperating ( that can be damgerous).. just a sidewall pop.. that will just leave ya flat and bad tube.. which ya need to replace anyway.

good luck!

Yeah, it's just the sidewall. I think Dad ran it around half flat for a while before figuring out that tire was low.

/ 8N Tire and Wheel Question #8  
spotco2 said:
Yeah, it's just the sidewall. I think Dad ran it around half flat for a while before figuring out that tire was low.

LOL. Did he think he was constantly on a slope?

LOL...can never really tell what pop's is thinking sometimes. They live on a perfectly flat 2 acre lot that he cuts with a Snapper. He just liked to get the tractor out to annoy the neighbors and ride around the yard. I've always thought he was a little off kilter. Maybe it's from riding a lop sided tractor all the time :)

/ 8N Tire and Wheel Question #10  
that's the soft suspension option on the tractor.. :)