8n won't start

/ 8n won't start #11  
You could get the crank and hand start it. Often those were more reliable than the six volt battery and starter. :D

As the other fellows have said take a look at the battery and and all the connections. maybe even have to pull the starter apart.:D

/ 8n won't start #12  
Does the 1949 8N front distributer have a solenoid on the starter motor?
My daughters tractor was worked on and now the button switch just smokes
when trying to start. There is no solenoid above the starter.

Yes, there is a solenoid on the 8N starter. From the factory it bolts directly to the starter, but perhaps it has been moved. It is not like on many cars where the solenoid it also the plunger.

On my old '49 if the starter does not turn over I lightly tap the starter with a rubber mallet or a piece of wood, and off it goes. It is time for a rebuild I guess.

/ 8n won't start #13  
Does the 1949 8N front distributer have a solenoid on the starter motor?
My daughters tractor was worked on and now the button switch just smokes
when trying to start. There is no solenoid above the starter.

All 8n use a solenoid. it was the 9n/2n that used the large interlocked start switch ont he back of the steering pedistal ( and early 9n that used a dash non safety start switch ).

the thumb switch on the trans top merely provides ground to the small 3rd terminal of the oem 3 terminal N solenoid.. the small terminal must face the tractor.. coil is internally hot fromt he battery side.

check the wireing if it smokes, and check to make sure the correct solenoid was used.

a 4 terminal isolated base solenoid can be used.. but they are not the common 4 terminal solenoid.. a 4 terminal 'bypass' style solenois isd the average run of the mill solenoid.. and it is not directly compatible with the N trnas top start button.

soundguy

/ 8n won't start #14  
Yes, there is a solenoid on the 8N starter. From the factory it bolts directly to the starter, but perhaps it has been moved. It is not like on many cars where the solenoid it also the plunger.

On my old '49 if the starter does not turn over I lightly tap the starter with a rubber mallet or a piece of wood, and off it goes. It is time for a rebuild I guess.

might be loose / worn brushes or tall mica.. that's usually what the tap-start symptoms indicate..

soundguy

/ 8n won't start #15  
I bought a 8n from a guy last week. He could start it easy. He said u have to turn the gas on by turning the valve alot of times(not the two turns that it says). I try to do this and it wont start. I turn it a hundred times and the engine turns but wont start. I dont get it. Help!

/ 8n won't start #16  
if you can turn the oem fuel valve a hundred times, the lil disc is spinning on the shaft... or the shaft is broke... the needle should only spin about 4 full turns to be max open..

( ps.. 15$ repalcement item = fuel tap.. )

soundguy

/ 8n won't start #17  
or you could plumb in a small 1/4 turn valve and solve the problem

/ 8n won't start #18  
all that would do is eliminate 2 of his 3 oem fuel filters, and may not solve his no start problem. so far it's not guaranteed to be fuel.

once we see if it's fuel, we can go from there to see if he can start.

so lets hold off on removing 66% of his fuel filtering and 100% of his water seperating capabilities for a bit..

soundguy

/ 8n won't start #19  
plumb it ahead of your filtering and you elimate nothing.

/ 8n won't start #20  
plumb it ahead of your filtering and you elimate nothing.

I guess you don't own a N ford do you? the tank fuel tap has 2 filters built in.

1 filter is in the tank, size of your finger.. sets atop the tap.. the 2nd filter is above the sediment bowl.. fuel has to pass both these screens before it can exit the valve.. this setup has a sediment bowl too, so fines and water can settle to the bottom between the 2 filter stages.

thus if you eliminate the oem ful tap to install a brass 1/4 turn valve you ELIMINATE 66% of the filtering int he system, and ALL the water elimination capability!

there is no 'ahead' of this setup. 'ahead of this setup is the fuel tank itself with a pipe thread bung in the bottom the tap screws into!!

soundguy

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

Miller Suitcase X-Treme 12 VS Welder (A33349)
Miller Suitcase...
John Deere 960 Field Cultivator (A33041)
John Deere 960...
1995 KMC 3-Point Strip-Till (A33113)
1995 KMC 3-Point...
2006 JLG Sky Track 10054 Forward Reach Forklift, (A33078)
2006 JLG Sky Track...
Pallet of draw bars (A34236)
Pallet of draw...
2000 Peterbilt (A34007)
2000 Peterbilt...