9 Volt Battery Danger...Burned this guy's house down...

/ 9 Volt Battery Danger...Burned this guy's house down... #11  

I haven't ever seen that before. That is ingenious. making a high resistance joint by judiciously tearing the gum wrapper into the thin tiny but still connected strip. Causing the strip to get very hot and ignite the paper backing... gotta remember that one..I would never thought to do that.

/ 9 Volt Battery Danger...Burned this guy's house down... #14  
I haven't ever seen that before. That is ingenious. making a high resistance joint by judiciously tearing the gum wrapper into the thin tiny but still connected strip. Causing the strip to get very hot and ignite the paper backing... gotta remember that one..I would never thought to do that.

Make you wonder why there aren't more fires in trash cans with people throwing out old batteries all the time. The odds are slim to none that it will happen to you.... until you see that video of that guy showing us almost the same thing that burned his house. Gotta feel for the guy and appreciate him for shooting that video so soon after the fire.

/ 9 Volt Battery Danger...Burned this guy's house down... #15  
Make you wonder why there aren't more fires in trash cans with people throwing out old batteries all the time. The odds are slim to none that it will happen to you.... until you see that video of that guy showing us almost the same thing that burned his house. Gotta feel for the guy and appreciate him for shooting that video so soon after the fire.

I think the thing that lessens the likelihood of more trash can fires is when people throw away most batteries they are dead or nearly dead, but when you change your smoke alarm batteries out by following the daylight savings time schedule, there is a lot of "life" left in them. And the fact the 9 volt battery design with both exposed terminals in the same plane is also an invitation to disaster.

/ 9 Volt Battery Danger...Burned this guy's house down... #16  
Went home last night to my used battery bin. Wrapped 9v batts in electric tape and removed them from my home. This scared me, never realized it could happen.

/ 9 Volt Battery Danger...Burned this guy's house down...
Went home last night to my used battery bin. Wrapped 9v batts in electric tape and removed them from my home. This scared me, never realized it could happen.

My wife and I did the same thing....taped them all with electrical tape and organized our batteries much better..

/ 9 Volt Battery Danger...Burned this guy's house down... #18  
I've gotten things warm before where a 9v battery in a box of stuff came in contact with metal.

/ 9 Volt Battery Danger...Burned this guy's house down... #19  
I try and keep a couple of extra plastic caps for 9 volts in our battery drawer, just so I've always got one to snap on the battery before it goes back. Started doing that several years ago. I thought the battery in my VOM was going bad, found out that the old one was fine (wire cap had unhooked), so I just dropped the new battery in my pocket. A penny lodged between the terminals and I found out that it takes a long time to get to your pockets when you're wearing insulated coveralls and in a panic! It burned a hole in my pants pocket, burned a quarter size spot on my and and it was hot enough that I blistered three of my fingers getting it out. A real eye opener.

/ 9 Volt Battery Danger...Burned this guy's house down... #20  
Is the government going to step in and do some thing now?