91 L2550. Starter won't engage. click/click. new Alt & Reg recently.

/ 91 L2550. Starter won't engage. click/click. new Alt & Reg recently. #1  

countryguy1225

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M6060 & L2550GST(4wd), W/ Backhoe attch. Mitsubhish MT160D (4wd) :- )
Morning everyone. My L2550 seems to be acting up following a recent Alternator and Regulator change. The anemic output just would not charge the battery enough over Winter's so I finally changed out the Alternator (Dyno some site note) and 12V Regulator. I have 13.8 to 14.1 now hitting the battery.

Intermittently, before before I swapped out the alt & reg, the starter would sometimes not engage. I would get a click-click of the main relay (usual sound even when it starts normally) but the starter would not engage. I would turn on/off for 5 times or so and it would eventually engage and start right up.

POST parts swap... it seemed fine for about a week ( we are using it daily for a fence post project) but now is taking 10-20 tries to get the starter to kick in and start the motor. I have tried to clean all plugs and reconnect everytihng I can reach. I've cleaned the entire ground strap and starter cables. The ignition key is getting pretty worn, and the key switch 'feel' is a bit loose. Just wondering where to dig next.
Is there a module or something I should just swap out next?

/ 91 L2550. Starter won't engage. click/click. new Alt & Reg recently. #2  
Click-click is very likely due to worn contacts in the starter solenoid, and unrelated to the recent work. Replacing the contacts is easy and the parts are readily available.

/ 91 L2550. Starter won't engage. click/click. new Alt & Reg recently.
oky doky.. pulled the print from the manual. I'll get the meter onto the Starter during a start condition when it won't start. Off the starter there are 3 lines.
1) The HOT cable from the battery to the starter.
2) The Solenoid wire (which comes from Key turn position going to the starter solenoid and passing thru a 'Safety Switch' (is that the clutch depress?)).
3) The other lug of the Starter is a wire line which travels back up to the to the Timer Rely pin 4. (one side of the relay contacts) The other side of the relay (is pin 1)
3a) tracing the timer relay from Pin 1 it goes thru a 15A fuse and loops thru the main harness and goes to the Key Stop solenoid.

I am not an expert on starter systems, but the Timer relay module is solid state and uses several transistors according to the print. a suspect at this point.
No sure what a Key Stop solenoid is.... but it's a coil on the print w/ one side to ground.

Diagnosis plan: Will put a meter on the key start line and key stop solenoid line off the starter and should see these go to 12V or ground to engage when key is turned.. if this works each time but does not turn the starter, I'll try a rebuilt starter. if one of the lines does not seem to be going high or low to allow starter current flow, I'll go into the starter relay or saftey switch devices.
The timer module is around $60.
The Safety Switch is about $30.
Starter... Can get non-OEM for $70-80 on the 'Bay'

Thanks a bunch. Agreed -unrelated and it did happen on occasion just became progressively worse. Ordering the kit today! Kudos!

/ 91 L2550. Starter won't engage. click/click. new Alt & Reg recently. #5  
.......No sure what a Key Stop solenoid is.........
Stopping the engine requires cutting the fuel. Turning off the key activates linkage on the injection pump for a few seconds.

/ 91 L2550. Starter won't engage. click/click. new Alt & Reg recently. #6  
On my L2250 the manual engine shutoff linkage at the dash leads to a valve that cuts off the fuel which can also be activated by an onboard solenoid. The wire to the solenoid is the Key Stop, at least on my '85 L2250.

You mention:
"oky doky.. pulled the print from the manual"
Do you have a service manual? If so, I just started a new thread looking for the valve adjustment specs and where to put the power steering fluid on my L2250. Let me know if have this information please.

/ 91 L2550. Starter won't engage. click/click. new Alt & Reg recently. #7  
At the start of all this I would have said EITHER the battery and starter cable ends are not making good connections OR the battery is bad.

Is there any noise at all during the 10-20 times you had to try it before the starter kicked in ? (click-click of the main relay or not?) I tend to go with the simplest things first. If there is no noise it would point to bad cable connections BUT you said you had cleaned the heck outta those cable ends. So ... try jumper cables and see if anything changes when a "good" battery is connected. Seems possible to me you've just got a bad battery (if you have the clicks but no starter engagement.)

Only if all that fails would I get into the more complicated stuff.

UPDATE! : 91 L2550. Starter won't engage. click/click. new Alt & Reg recently.

Hi Everyone. Been a busy week. Sorry for the delay. UPDATE: Solinoid kit did not repair. Ordeerd the Timing module anyway. Due this week.... BUt this morning, in the 30's, and I went to hit the warmer... and Nada. I Jiggle the key in the ignitons and pop goes the relay and the lights - Then it warmed up... so an ah-ha went up. I try to start the tractor, (after 4 or 5 times turning back and forth) and it starts... I take it out and start jiggling the key in the ignition. And wella' IT simply shut off. I did the 3 times... Just by jiggling the key it is acting up. to restart, I noticed that if I hold the key down HARD in the socket and turn, I can get it to fire easier than the back forth key turns I had been doing.

...so... Mystery solved? A new ignition ??? $70 from Messicks. Or I can find a re-pop out there or take this one apart. :) Getting closer!

Re: UPDATE! : 91 L2550. Starter won't engage. click/click. new Alt & Reg recently.

15minw later.... I left watrming up and came out to it not running. Wont do anything. no matter how hard I mess w/ the key and ign. socket. I'm pulling the cowling now.. and we'll see where we go.. bummer. but I got that last Cedar post in about 7:45 last night. Whew. Weird issue!!

15mins laster... cowling out. a lot of corrosion on plugs. meter in hand.. on the bench to test key turn and contact clean up!

1 hr later- Cleaned all contacts. stuck it back in. I jiggle everything and turn and press and wiggle and it'll turn over but won't stay running. OVernighted new ignition and key. Be here tomorrow.

Hi Everyone. Been a busy week. Sorry for the delay. UPDATE: Solinoid kit did not repair. Ordeerd the Timing module anyway. Due this week.... BUt this morning, in the 30's, and I went to hit the warmer... and Nada. I Jiggle the key in the ignitons and pop goes the relay and the lights - Then it warmed up... so an ah-ha went up. I try to start the tractor, (after 4 or 5 times turning back and forth) and it starts... I take it out and start jiggling the key in the ignition. And wella' IT simply shut off. I did the 3 times... Just by jiggling the key it is acting up. to restart, I noticed that if I hold the key down HARD in the socket and turn, I can get it to fire easier than the back forth key turns I had been doing.

...so... Mystery solved? A new ignition ??? $70 from Messicks. Or I can find a re-pop out there or take this one apart. :) Getting closer!

Last edited:
   / 91 L2550. Starter won't engage. click/click. new Alt & Reg recently. #10  
Re: UPDATE! : 91 L2550. Starter won't engage. click/click. new Alt & Reg recently.

This may be way off base, but I had a similar problem with my G1800 this spring. I tried everything till I brought my starter into a repair shop. The found the starter was working properly but then the tech asked me if my starter relay was OK. Uh??

I bought an after market starter relay and solved the problem. The old relay just wasn't sending enough power for the solenoid to through out the pinion gear, even just a bit of interference between the pinion and the ring gear was enough.

Your starter relay may not be the problem but an after market relay is maybe $10 so if you can't nail down the problem, try a new relay.