982 or 2165??

/ 982 or 2165?? #1  

nhdude

So, I'm a total newbie looking for a GT to snowblow my long steep driveway and mow my steep lawn. Have a 982 and a 2165 (10 years old with 100 hrs) as options right now. The 982 has been restored and looks great. I like the heavy build of the 982 but wondering about potential reliability and parts? Would really appreciate the advice of those who know these tractors. I'm trying to learn but still pretty clueless. Thanks!!

/ 982 or 2165?? #2  
Here's my $.02 worth.
Don't know very much about the 982's, except they were made from 80-85, probably weigh a bit more, have 4 more HP, and go 3mph faster. I wouldn't question so much reliability as much as parts/implement availability. I'm sure some other members can address that.
I've owned several 2165's along with numerous other 2000 and 3000 series Cubs.
(and 5, 6, 7&7500 series!) I did like the 2165's I had, and gave one to my father-in-law that he likes and is going strong. I did have a minor common problem with 2 of them, the needle valve in the carb sticking, and personally prefer the v-twin Kohlers in the 2000 and 3000 series, but overall it was a fine tractor.
Question; was the engine rebuilt in the 982?
One part of your text caught my eye.....long steep driveway....steep lawn...with those in mind, and if fiscally possible, I would consider a 3000 series with differential rear lock. Makes a HUGE difference on steep terrain. Not to mention larger snowblower, PS, and hyd lift. And, they're still making them.
However, assuming you are only looking at the 2165/982, I'm partial to the newer Cubs, but it sounds like a hard call.
And one more mention of slopes, my father-in-law is making some (deer)trails behind his house up some very steep slopes, mowing the underbrush. I was quite impressed when I saw them....to the point I didn't believe the tractor could actually climb that slope. But, the rear tires are loaded on his 2165, I'm sure making a big difference.
Hope this helps, good luck!

/ 982 or 2165??
Hey, thanks, that's great info! The 982 is gone... sold. So, if the 2165 is still available, I may go for it. I think a 3000 is a bit beyond my budget right now so will load up the 2165 with weights and see how it does. Your father's experience suggests it will likely be OK ;-) Thanks again.