990 lift capacity and collarshift tranny

/ 990 lift capacity and collarshift tranny #1  

beagleboy

Tractor
1997 john Deere 1070 4WD
I have a 970 with power steering which automatically comes with syncromesh transmission. Also the 3-point lift capacity is 2020 pounds. The 990 comes with just a standard collar shift transmission and only a 3-point lift capacity of 1573 pounds. My questionis,Why would John Deere do this and would I miss the syncromesh transmission and decreased lifting capacity if I were to buy a 990.

/ 990 lift capacity and collarshift tranny
I have a 970 with power steering which automatically comes with syncromesh transmission. Also the 3-point lift capacity is 2020 pounds. The 990 comes with just a standard collar shift transmission and only a 3-point lift capacity of 1573 pounds. My questionis,Why would John Deere do this and would I miss the syncromesh transmission and decreased lifting capacity if I were to buy a 990.

/ 990 lift capacity and collarshift tranny #3  
I have both tractors, a 2003 990 and a 1992 970 with syncro and power steering. The syncro really shifts nice on the 970 which makes it more of a joy to use. The 990's transmission is pretty good though if you take it easy while shifting and ease it into gear to avoid grinding gears.

As for the 3 point hitch it depends if you have to use all 2020 pounds of lift capacity. My implements include a 660 tiller, blade, 25A flail and others which are easily interchanged between the 2 tractors. None of my implements reach the capacity of the 990 so either tractor works just as well. You might see how JD obtained that better lift pressure and use 970 parts to get it up to snuff.

If John Deere still made the 70 series as they were until 1998, I would have purchased one of those instead of the 990. Your 970 will have the better seat which is now changed on the new style 990s with a very poor suspension, your MFWD lever is no longer as convenient to reach as it is by the floor, and if you use any mid mounted implements or a front mounted snowblower it will not work on the 990 unless you put a mid pto in and weld some brackets to the front.

Is the 970 in poor repair or something? You would like the increase in horsepower that the 990 provides.

/ 990 lift capacity and collarshift tranny #4  
I have both tractors, a 2003 990 and a 1992 970 with syncro and power steering. The syncro really shifts nice on the 970 which makes it more of a joy to use. The 990's transmission is pretty good though if you take it easy while shifting and ease it into gear to avoid grinding gears.

As for the 3 point hitch it depends if you have to use all 2020 pounds of lift capacity. My implements include a 660 tiller, blade, 25A flail and others which are easily interchanged between the 2 tractors. None of my implements reach the capacity of the 990 so either tractor works just as well. You might see how JD obtained that better lift pressure and use 970 parts to get it up to snuff.

If John Deere still made the 70 series as they were until 1998, I would have purchased one of those instead of the 990. Your 970 will have the better seat which is now changed on the new style 990s with a very poor suspension, your MFWD lever is no longer as convenient to reach as it is by the floor, and if you use any mid mounted implements or a front mounted snowblower it will not work on the 990 unless you put a mid pto in and weld some brackets to the front.

Is the 970 in poor repair or something? You would like the increase in horsepower that the 990 provides.

Thank alot,You answered my questions completely. I love the 970 that I have and wouldn't even think about parting with it except it's only 2wd and I'm wanting 4wd. I do know where thre is a 1070 with low hours so maybe I'd be happier with that instead of a 990.

Thank alot,You answered my questions completely. I love the 970 that I have and wouldn't even think about parting with it except it's only 2wd and I'm wanting 4wd. I do know where thre is a 1070 with low hours so maybe I'd be happier with that instead of a 990.

/ 990 lift capacity and collarshift tranny #7  
yes definately go for the 1070 over a 990. The 1070 is a very good machine. You didn't mention if loaders were a criteria but if they are then choose a 1070 with the 440 QA loader.

/ 990 lift capacity and collarshift tranny #8  
yes definately go for the 1070 over a 990. The 1070 is a very good machine. You didn't mention if loaders were a criteria but if they are then choose a 1070 with the 440 QA loader.

/ 990 lift capacity and collarshift tranny #9  
Yeah, go the 1070.

/ 990 lift capacity and collarshift tranny #10  
Yeah, go the 1070.