9n steering problem

/ 9n steering problem #1  

legbreaker

Just finished plowing my 5 acre field and upon return my 1940 9n steering locked up. my usual mechanic isnt around anymore. Does anyone know where to start. I think it is a gear problem it seems my wheels pivot smoothly. is it a big job to get to the gear box and replace the gears if that is the problem. thanks!!!

/ 9n steering problem #2  
First.. you need to get a service manual for your tractor. i reccomend an I&T fo-4 manual.

On a 9n/2n, the steering wheel just connects to a shaft with a gear at the bottom that drives the R & L sector gears.

Jack up the front end and disconnect the steering draglinks and see if the lockup is inthe steeirng box.. or a front end component.. like the spindles. i fthe box, you will have to remove the hood, and dash, battery box.. yada yada..... the top of the steering box is then accessable. ( bottom of steering box is the trans cover! ). Hope it is just a thrust bearing that disintegrated and dropped a roller into the gears locking them vs anything else.. as parts are spendy on that box..

soundguy

/ 9n steering problem
Thanks that the EXACT info i needed. i will check it out and keep you posted. Much appreciated!!!!!!!!!!

/ 9n steering problem
got everything apart. it appears its jammed in the column.(i think its a bearing) how do i get the steering wheel off without destroying the nut? i have three pullers and i have no where to grab the wheel. thanks again

/ 9n steering problem #5  
If you have the oem acorn nut, remove it, and that shaft should be keyed.. it's common to have the steering wheel hud so rusted that you literally have to split the hub to remove it, then repalce the wheel... a lil pb oil and some light tapping around the exterior circumference of the hub may help swag it a bit. If you do put a puller on it.. slip a bolt down the center of the steering tube and center your puller onthe bolt so you don't deform the threads...

soundguy

/ 9n steering problem
having hard time still cant get steering wheel off. the problem is definitely in the column. i have three pullers and none of them can grab the wheel. any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks

/ 9n steering problem #7  
Advance Auto has a wheel puller kit with the correct puller to remove the steering wheel.

I usually start with some penetrating oil and tap on it for a while then if it's really rusted I'll use a torch to heat it up a bit.

You don't have to used a lot of heat.

With the puller it will pop right off. If it dings it up too much you can buy a replacement steering wheel from Tractor Supply.

/ 9n steering problem #8  
Ahh -- a tractor from days gone by with a problem??:D Do they not last forever!:D :D :D

/ 9n steering problem #9  
First, loosen and remove the nut from the steering wheel.
Remove the washer.
Replace the nut turn it by hand down until it stops.
Back it off 2 turns.
Now SMACK the nut with a stiff, soft blow hammer a few times until the wheel pops off. Sometimes it helps to have an assistant hold on to the steering wheel and work it back and forth between SMACKS!
Don't worry; it'll come off.
:)

/ 9n steering problem #10  
Egon said:
Ahh -- a tractor from days gone by with a problem??:D Do they not last forever!:D :D :D

They don't last forever.. but an average N with a 500$ motor kit, and another few hundred dollars in seals, and consumables and you can likely get another 50-60-70 years out of them. Not bad for sinking in about 1000$ or less and some sweat equity.

many of today's tractors probably won't touch half the lifespan of the oldies .. not to mention the '2nd wind '

soundguy