A 4-year-old boy was killed when he fell off a farm tractor

/ A 4-year-old boy was killed when he fell off a farm tractor #11  
Regrettable & as sad as it is, the harsh reality is children (& anyone) as passengers have no place in/around the operating area of a tractor - if there aren't passenger seats, seat belts & an enclosed cab it should be a no brainer.

I never understand how anyone can value (for the child) the fun of a few minutes riding on a tractor over the high risk of serious injury or potential loss of life.

These tragedies happen far too often - unfortunately farm machinery is very unforgiving for those who don't appreciate/respond to associated risks.

IMO, as an operator of machinery you accept accountability for the safe use of that machinery.

We have a lot of people who stop by with kids and want me to 'take them for a ride' on the tractor. I always flatly refuse this request. I find that many people view a tractor as a toy...It's my opinion that a child should always be kept a safe distance from any piece of equipment, and should only be brought to look at the equipment by an adult familiar with said machinery. My view is, that if one person allows them to interact with the equipment, they potentially could assume that ANY equipment is safe to approach, leading to disastrous results. The kids might have a little disappointment in not being able to see it or ride it at that moment, but at least they'll be around to learn how to use it for it's intended purpose later on down the road.

/ A 4-year-old boy was killed when he fell off a farm tractor #12  
I still see 'old Grandpa' riding his precious cargo on his knee while he uses one hand to drive the riding lawn mower around. It's a totally preventable incident which I wouldn't even call an accident because it is SO preventable. I've even see kids in the FEL and heard of stories where they fell or tried to sneak out and get caught up in the machinery. It's an awful way to go.

Share this story with all of your friends, every time it happens again. Very sad.

/ A 4-year-old boy was killed when he fell off a farm tractor #13  
I was 6 yrs old in 1965 and kept out of school to farm . No fenders , power steering , nothing .

/ A 4-year-old boy was killed when he fell off a farm tractor #14  
I'm about 10min outside Canajoharie. This is a very tragic accident. But saying that, I can't blame the uncle. I practically grew up on the fender of a tractor. Started driving on my own before the age of 10.

/ A 4-year-old boy was killed when he fell off a farm tractor #15  
As kids we were never allowed to ride along till the tractors got cabs.
My uncle lost an arm to a PTO shaft and a neighbor rolled a tractor while mowing.
I expect these made the dangers real to my father.

I guess it is a mater of people thinking it will never happen to them.