A date which will live in infamy

/ A date which will live in infamy #32  
image.jpg

/ A date which will live in infamy #33  
Yesterday, I asked a few of my young whipper snapper co-workers if they knew of an imporant event that took place on December 7. The responses were disappointing. When I added 1941 to the question things picked a bit as a couple of them were able to make a connection to World War II but still couldn't tie the date to Pearl Harbor. Just when I was ready to give up hope two in the group nailed it. So of the ten or so who submitted to my enterrogation two got it. And, they got it without using their phone.

/ A date which will live in infamy #34  
My uncle came home from WW2 with a surprise for the entire family. And, I know, many of his neighbors. He brought home a German war bride. Not just German but definitely East German. I don't think it bothered my dad that much. However- my mother being full blood Norwegian - I think she always had reservations.

/ A date which will live in infamy #35  
My uncle was stationed at Pearl Harbor then. He survived. He also survived the sinking of two ships later in the war.

It is sad that apparently the Pearl Harbor attack is no longer mentioned in schools.
If anyone has listened to WWII stories from there family members or acquaintances, please post them.

/ A date which will live in infamy #36  
Family friend was in the Pacific during the war; he told this story about how ineffective he thought the M1 carbine was. Seems they had pretty much taken of this island, but still had a lot of mopping up to do. He said he and several others, including an officer, were walking down one of the unpaved roads, when a couple of trucks approached from behind. He said a Japanese soldier, who apparently thought it was a tank, burst out of the underbrush and started running away in the opposite direction.

He said one of the officers, who was carrying a M1 carbine, emptied a clip at the guy and he just kept running. One of the other guys fired one shot with their M1 and the guy went sprawling. The guy was examined, and had been hit 4 or 5 times with the carbine with little apparent effect. The M1, however, was another story.

/ A date which will live in infamy #37  
My dad was in the Pacific in the navy. He joined in 1944 at 17 years old. His mom wouldn’t let him sign up, you had to have a parent’s signature at 17, but his dad did. He served on a troop transport and saw Pearl Harbor probably early 1945 and said you could still see a lot of damage.

His ship took place in the landing of Okinawa. He was a signalman and had no function during the time they put troops ashore so he was given a Thompson. Combat had all moved off the beach so he didn’t see much. Kamikazes did attack the fleet while he was there but none hit his ship.

The stories he shared with me were accidents. A guy showered with burning gas and a guy whose throat was cut by a loose winch line.

We often forget, during WW2 and it’s still the case today, military service is dangerous business and a lot get hurt or killed in accidents.

/ A date which will live in infamy #38  
Another friend who was in Italy during the war, told of shooting a sniper out of a church steeple. They recovered his body. He said the guy had a wallet, which he went through, and found a picture of him, his wife and his two little kids. He said he really, really felt bad, but finally came to grips with it, knowing the guy would have done the same to him.

/ A date which will live in infamy #39  
If anyone has listened to WWII stories from there family members or acquaintances, please post them.

A good friend told his wife (as I recall it):

He was aboard a ship right after the end of the war. They got word of a prison camp that had not been liberated yet. They headed that way, despite MacArthur's orders that he wanted his troops to liberate it later. When they arrived they talked with the prisoners. The prisoners had been forced to offload supplies for the Japanese troops. They were supervised by a Filipino. They made a deal with the Filipino to put a grain of rice in a can each trip they made. They would get back half of the rice, cooked. One day they purposely put an odd number of grains in the can and counted what they got back. The extra grain was in their share.

The Filipino insisted the rescuers share a meal with him and his family. The friend said it took all his will power to eat--the cleanliness of the meal left much to be desired.

After the war there was an effort to recognize the crew for their rescue. As he told it, MacArthur pulled political strings to quash the effort.

I posted this years ago on another forum and got an angry reply from one of the members. It seems MacArthur was one of his heroes and he did not appreciate the slam. I took it to mean MacArthur was a military genius, but had normal human failings, too.

My uncle was a Pearl Harbor survivor. Later in the war he had two ships that he was on sunk. One was during the battle of the Coral Sea. The order was to fire the guns at will, instead of synchronizing them. The idea was that synchronizing the firing made it harder for enemy submarines to find a target. They were sunk by torpedoes.

I found it interesting that I found in my mother's papers a chit he had to allow him to wear dungarees on the base after one of the sinkings. That kind of BS is one of the reasons I was glad to get out of the Navy.

Last edited:
   / A date which will live in infamy #40  
When I was a kid, every night we'd all come to dinner at the dining room table. My dad would sit at the head of the table, and while we were waiting for mom to bring out the food, my dad would take his knife and fork and tap out this little repetitive beat quietly, but over and over until the food was on the table and my mom sat down.

He said the head hunters on New Guinea would play that beat with sticks on logs as a call to a meal. :oops:

Don't know if it's true or not, but man, what a great story to tell the kids. :ROFLMAO: