A Day of Infamy, December 7, 1941

/ A Day of Infamy, December 7, 1941 #1  

weldingisfun

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4500 4WD w/FEL, and Scotts S2048 lawn tractor
We were asleep at the wheel 72 years ago too. Will we never learn?
Pearl Harbor w caption.jpg

Photo taken from the bridge of the USS Missouri overlooking the final resting place of the USS Arizona.

/ A Day of Infamy, December 7, 1941 #2  
Of course we will never learn and it's because American history is not a huge priority in our school system.

On August 6th every year the local peace lovers meet and sing songs to reflect on the atrocities committed by the United States against Japan with the dropping of the two atomic bombs. Yet the same group fails to show up on December 7th of each year to sing their songs and to reflect on the events committed by Japan at Pearl Harbor. Now, of course its a little warmer in Minnesota in August than in December so perhaps I shouldn't be so hard on them. But it just seems like the events of 1941 are somehow not related to the events in 1945 according to these folks. So maybe a little history study is in order.

For a little sport, its fun to ask the younger folks you work with if they can tell you what historic event took place on December 7, 1941 and be prepared for some hilarious responses. I suspect that most will not be able to tell you. And its not just about Pearl Harbor, other historic questions will leave a blank look on their face.

I asked one of the young whipper snappers if they knew of the two atomic bombs being dropped on Japan and if they could cite the approximate date and reason for the bombing. Yes, they had heard about the bombs being dropped on Japan, that it took place sometime in the early 90's and it was because President Bush was irritated with Japan over a trade deal. I was also told that JFK was assassinated in the 1970s which was about the same time of the Korean war. Its a lot like when Jay Leno does his famous "Jay walking". During the week of Easter a few years ago Jay asked some people when Jesus walked on earth as a man. The response from one was about 200 years ago and another response was a million years ago.

So until we return to teaching history we can expect similar results in the future. If the current generation has no connection with the previous generations victories and failures then we must expect the same.

/ A Day of Infamy, December 7, 1941 #3  
TCowner makes some good points, my kids and grandkids are pretty knowledgeable, but it's because we made it a priority, but they are not the norm.

/ A Day of Infamy, December 7, 1941 #4  
Of course we will never learn and it's because American history is not a huge priority in our school system.

On August 6th every year the local peace lovers meet and sing songs to reflect on the atrocities committed by the United States against Japan with the dropping of the two atomic bombs. Yet the same group fails to show up on December 7th of each year to sing their songs and to reflect on the events committed by Japan at Pearl Harbor. Now, of course its a little warmer in Minnesota in August than in December so perhaps I shouldn't be so hard on them. But it just seems like the events of 1941 are somehow not related to the events in 1945 according to these folks. So maybe a little history study is in order.

For a little sport, its fun to ask the younger folks you work with if they can tell you what historic event took place on December 7, 1941 and be prepared for some hilarious responses. I suspect that most will not be able to tell you. And its not just about Pearl Harbor, other historic questions will leave a blank look on their face.

I asked one of the young whipper snappers if they knew of the two atomic bombs being dropped on Japan and if they could cite the approximate date and reason for the bombing. Yes, they had heard about the bombs being dropped on Japan, that it took place sometime in the early 90's and it was because President Bush was irritated with Japan over a trade deal. I was also told that JFK was assassinated in the 1970s which was about the same time of the Korean war. Its a lot like when Jay Leno does his famous "Jay walking". During the week of Easter a few years ago Jay asked some people when Jesus walked on earth as a man. The response from one was about 200 years ago and another response was a million years ago.

So until we return to teaching history we can expect similar results in the future. If the current generation has no connection with the previous generations victories and failures then we must expect the same.

FDR a date which will live in infamy speech - YouTube

/ A Day of Infamy, December 7, 1941 #5  
I have a real connection to Dec.7.....my father was at Pearl Harbor and it happens to be my birthday.
He never talked about it much,seems most of the WWII vets were this way.His six brothers also were in the Pacific,the family is of German decent so I suppose it made sense to send them west instead of Europe.My grandfather had jumped ship in NY city about 1917,not speaking English and I would guess very little money. Ended up in Malone ,NY and worked for the railroad.

/ A Day of Infamy, December 7, 1941 #6  
My Dad was involved in WWII as a truck driver supporting 8th Air Corps in England for 4 years. My Uncle is still alive at 93 and fought as an Infantry Soldier in the Pacific campaign during WWII. I just retired from the Army two years ago after 40 years service, Vietnam, Desert Storm, two tours Iraq, one Afghanistan.

The attack on Pearl Harbor is a significant date because of what it started. Our reaction was swift and determined. Duration 5 years.

The attack on 911 is also a significant date because of what it started. Our reaction was hesitated and distracted. Duration 10 years and ongoing.

I wish our younger generation were more attuned to history. Especially things such as Pearl Harbor. But much more critically, I wish they were attuned to what's going on in their World today. I'm afraid with less than 1% of our population involved in the military that's not going to happen. Where's the Draft when ya need it??? :(

/ A Day of Infamy, December 7, 1941 #7  
We are spread out all over the world playing referee with some dismal people . We need to get home and take care of our own .

/ A Day of Infamy, December 7, 1941 #8  
I am certainly no history buff, but I do know about Pearl Harbor and I recognize the date, though I am not sure I could recite it off the top of my head any other time of year. I definitely agree with the post about taking care of business. Our country spends so much time trying to be PC and trying to satisfy everyone, but they all still hate us anyway. At least if we could things done, they wouldn't f*** with us. We have the ability to do so.

Btw... I graduated hs in 2002.

I have a real connection to Dec.7.....my father was at Pearl Harbor and it happens to be my birthday.

Happy Birthday!

/ A Day of Infamy, December 7, 1941 #9  
Another thing i've notice happening more and more and that's turning everything into a political diatribe of whats wrong. Seems we used to be grateful and thankful, to celebrate those who came before us. I think im going to make a new years resolution to not be such a curmudgeon. I want to try and be a good example for my grand babies. Wish me luck on that.:D

We are of german/british decent too and most of my relatives, of that era, were in the navy in the pacific. My Dad went into the army and flew bombers in parts of europe then down thru africa and ending up near australia into the south pacific. His worse experiences were in the south pacific and doesn't talk about it much.

Rest in Peace and thank you for your sacrifices so that we may have a better life.

/ A Day of Infamy, December 7, 1941 #10  
I' m so proud to be an AMERICAN. I still have a model of the "Arizona" that I put together when I was round 9 years of age. I helped a neighbor put up hay to pay for it. It is still visible in a buffet in our living room.