A Dirty Old Place

/ A Dirty Old Place #1  

1948berg

Gold Member
Tractor
A Fergie-MF 35 gas- Mf 165- Mf 6161- Unimog- Fiat 880
There is something fishy going on. Houses are turning green. If it is the weather, modern paint, or just me noticing such things better as I grow older I dont know. I washed one end of the house today, with soap and high pressure washer. It was dirtier than I had thought. I feel good now, after the job is done, relaxing with a glass of vine, watching the result.
The building is from 1825, the walls have never been changed, neither has (most of) the windows. I was born here, I love the place!

Attachments

• HUSVASK 1.jpg
    HUSVASK 1.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 380
  • HUSVASK 2.jpg
    HUSVASK 2.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 351
   / A Dirty Old Place #2  
Very nice home, that rear is just itching for a big deck to enjoy the pond from
in Florida we have mildew that grows on siding, I use a bleach and water solution to wash it off and with real wood siding I would rinse it off real good

:)

/ A Dirty Old Place #3  
Hey Mr. Berg. Looks great, and what family history you and it share. Shouldn't it be snowing in Norway now? It is August here in America:rolleyes: :D

/ A Dirty Old Place #4  
Back in the good ole days they put plenty of lead in the paint to prevent that problem. Now days the north side of most painted houses will mildew.

/ A Dirty Old Place #5  
Very nice looking well maintained home.:D :D

Did it meet codes when it was built!!!:D :D :D

/ A Dirty Old Place #6  
Many people are using pressure washers now to remove mildew from their siding. This is probably the worst thing you can do to your siding. :( The high pressure results in water getting trapped behind your siding and can result in even more rot and mildew. The best thing to remove mildew is a hand pump sprayer with half water, half Clorox and a teaspoon of detergent. Spray it on, in the shade, let it soak for a while and hose it off. In most cases, it will all come off then with a regular garden hose. In stubborn cases, I reapply it and brush the side of the house with a push broom, then hose it off. It is usually, faster and easier than using a pressure washer.

Many cheap off-brands of bleach are already diluted with water to this mix so check the % of ingredients against Clorox to determine if you need to mix it with water.

/ A Dirty Old Place #7  
Neat old house ! No way to get character like that in a new house. What-Her-Name and i bought a house built in 1888 a few years ago..... we sure coulda used your pressure washer then !!!

Attachments

• Smith Farm 002.jpg
    Smith Farm 002.jpg
    387.3 KB · Views: 291
   / A Dirty Old Place #8  
Gunnar, very beautiful house. It must still be summer over there.

Ductape, you need to call "This Old House" guys and tell them you have a project!

/ A Dirty Old Place #9  
Kyle,
Though this picture was taken last year, the house looks more like this today. I still haven't gotten around to rebuilding the original shutters, but i hope to this year. The house is still a long way from being done (will it ever be??).

Gunnar, since you were born there, i would think that would make it impossibe to ever sell the place !

Attachments

• Smith Farm 082.jpg
    Smith Farm 082.jpg
    387.7 KB · Views: 177
  • Smith Farm 083.jpg
    Smith Farm 083.jpg
    500.5 KB · Views: 153