Loader A gentle reminder that tractors are not dozers

/ A gentle reminder that tractors are not dozers #22  
First off, why are people suggesting that Deere "covered this under warranty" or that "dealer financing insurance" paid for the loss. Did anybody look at the ad? Its a 2011! 13 year old machine. There is no warranty; financing insurance from the manufacturer only applies on new equipment.

That said, like someone else mentioned: the loader arms don't even look that bent. That tractor does not have the power to "split the case", literally, with its loader and/or traction to the wheels. I'm thinking it suffered a much more traumatic incident, such as falling off a trailer or perhaps being hit by something larger while stationary.

/ A gentle reminder that tractors are not dozers #23  
I don’t think I do things that could cause my CT120 to do that……but I have to ask. Is this a universal weak point in all tractors? It is broken as if the tractor is made in two sections and then bolted together in the middle.

/ A gentle reminder that tractors are not dozers #24  
I do not know what the weather is/was like in Michigan, but if it is/was anything like here in Vermont this year, you can have 6" snow one day and the next day see grass. It is mid February here, and we are lucky to have 1/2" snow on the ground! It was near 60F last week and yesterday it was 13F, 15F today. Insane swings!

I live next door to you in NH, along the border. We are getting the same swings. Its certainly been a minimal snow year. I enjoy snowmobiling and although we've gotten a couple of rides in, we've had to travel each time. Normally I can leave right from my shop.

/ A gentle reminder that tractors are not dozers #25  
I don’t think I do things that could cause my CT120 to do that……but I have to ask. Is this a universal weak point in all tractors? It is broken as if the tractor is made in two sections and then bolted together in the middle.

That's how tractors are made...the engine block bolts to the transmission housing and rear differential / axle. The front axle is suspended from below the engine. The tractor bodywork is bolted around the engine and transmission case. There is no "frame" per se, but rather the strength of the engine block and transmission case.

/ A gentle reminder that tractors are not dozers #26  
This is why I like the old tractors. I really abuse my to30 and my ford 600 and they hold up just fine. I have literally chained my to 30 to my 600 and used both to pull my trailer out of the mud with a backhoe on it. The 600 wouldn't do it because the front end was coming up off the ground so I chained the to30 to it so the front end would stay down. I treat my tractors like this all the time. I've bent everything on the 3pt several times over. once I broke the steering box on the to30 once because I had too much weight in the bucket and hit a stump. About broke my thumb and busted the steering box in half, Another time I bent one of the tie rod arms the same way, but after years of abuse both are still going strong with no damage to the drive train.
Most of the tractors they make now are more like overgrown lawn mowers. I wouldn't have any of them as long as there's still old ones around.

Last edited:
   / A gentle reminder that tractors are not dozers #27  
...And you are not alone in abusing your machines. Even the behavior you describe should not break a tractor's case. This little Deere didn't do this to itself, it my opinion.

/ A gentle reminder that tractors are not dozers #28  
I have seen lots of broken compact tractors in the junkyard. And one very big magnum tractor when I worked for a case/ih dealer years ago.

They always have a loader on them and usually the loader shows signs of abuse in all the pivots.

Very few modern loader arms will bend themselves now like early ones did. Seen a few crack. The case magnum I saw break in have the operator(hired man) hit a pile at speed. Bucket curl cylinders bent and the torque converter house(where the clutch would be on a smaller tractor) was cracked and leaking. Mints and loader itself appeared to be fine but I wouldn’t have trusted it.

The biggest culprit I have seen in this area is carrying heavy loads in the bucket and either large counter weight or a load in the back then driving across ground at speed and hitting bumps.

The most common way for compacts is two big bales at a time, one on the front spear, one on the 3 point.

Sometimes it’s a backhoe on the back. 110 JD TLB are basically a compact tractor and split in half scooping and carrying rock/sand and slamming into dirt piles.

Another issue is bucket size. Many compact tractors are sold with buckets way to large for them so the can cover the wheel width. These work well for mulch or snow but put too much stress on the tractors front axle, engine block, and clutch housing. Dealers typically wouldn’t sell a wide bucket 40 years ago unless it was paired with the smaller standard general purpose bucket to be used with heavier materials.

/ A gentle reminder that tractors are not dozers #29  
This is why I like the old tractors. I really abuse my to30 and my ford 600 and they hold up just fine. I have literally chained my to 30 to my 600 and used both to pull my trailer out of the mud with a backhoe on it. The 600 wouldn't do it because the front end was coming up off the ground so I chained the to30 to it so the front end would stay down. I treat my tractors like this all the time. I've bent everything on the 3pt several times over. once I broke the steering box on the to30 once because I had too much weight in the bucket and hit a stump. About broke my thumb and busted the steering box in half, Another time I bent one of the tie rod arms the same way, but after years of abuse both are still going strong with no damage to the drive train.
Most of the tractors they make now are more like overgrown lawn mowers. I wouldn't have any of them as long as there's still old ones around.
I have seen a ford 641 and a ford 3000 broke in half. They were not immune.

/ A gentle reminder that tractors are not dozers #30  
Looks like a sketchy setup to me. Yanmar 187 had full subframe for the bucket. Why they go away from that?