A good day!

/ A good day! #12  
I really wanted an HST, but with very limited movement in my right ankle (from an old injury) i found the rocker pedal horribly awkward to use. The clutchless fwd / reverse shuttle shift works perfectly for me.
Are you sure it is clutchless??
The DK 45 didn't offer a power shift transmission that I am aware of.
Far as I know the DK 45se gear only came in a synchronized shuttle which requires the clutch to shift or to forward/reverse

/ A good day!
Are you sure it is clutchless??
The DK 45 didn't offer a power shift transmission that I am aware of.
Far as I know the DK 45se gear only came in a synchronized shuttle which requires the clutch to shift or to forward/reverse

Well... Pretty sure. That's what the dealer showed me & I shifted back & forth a whole bunch of times with nary a ground tooth. There is a slight hesitation when shifting direction, which would seem to confirm the shifting is done hydraulically rather than through a mechanical linkage.
Shifting GEARS, definitely requires the clutch, though...
It could be this is a newer version of the DK. This tractor had just arrived at the dealership in its crate a couple of weeks ago.

/ A good day! #14  
It does sound like a power shift, just never heard of it being an option on a DK

/ A good day!
Kneedeep... I forgot to say... Sorry to hear you're feelin' the pain these days. Hope the latest surgery gets you back up & runnin' in short order.
All the best. Dan

/ A good day!
DK... Since I was hoping to get an HST unit, the power shift was a huge selling point.

/ A good day!
DK... Since I was hoping to get an HST unit, the power shift was a huge selling point.

/ A good day! #18  
Hey, congratulations on finding your tractor. I completely agree about going larger. If it is maintaining land that you are doing then larger is the way to go.

We've had quite a few tractors over the last 50 years. I don't blame you for wanting HST...or for finding that you enjoyed the way powershift works. HST is slightly more convenient for loader work and powershift slightly better for tillage, blading, or pulling. We've had both - or I should say all three to include gear shifters. Most recently we've had powershift on the 33 hp Yanmar and the 90 hp JD and HST on the Kubota. The other Yanmar and the JD are gearshifters. I like gearshifters too, but find powershift and HST offer much more operator comfort than the old gear shifters.

Gotta throw a bone to the gear shifters out there, because there is one area where straight gears and a clutch are better and always will be - and that is in instances where you need very fine control over power and movement....when you are moving scant inches under load and need to control the power very precisely. Gears and a manual clutch just cannot be beat for doing that.

On 3pt hoes. We've had a few of those as well. Be SURE to check if your tractor's 3 pt has any form of automatic lift. An automatic 3pt lift is often called "Draft Control" and most larger tractors will normally have that feature. You must turn off any form of draft control before using a 3pt backhoe. This is very important. It is the single safety downside to a 3pt hoe but it is a big one. Ask your dealer. You'll have to to find a way to make sure you do this. I forgot one day and what happened that morning still scares me.

On makes and models of tractors....we are lucky to live in an era with so many good tractors. It's not even a matter of good versus not so good. They're all good. It comes down to the intangibles.

Your story sounds a bit like ours. One day my wife decided that we should have a nice new tractor instead of another used one. It would be one that came with everything new and working properly so that we could work with in instead of on it. The resulting search took months and ended almost by accident with a stop in at a dealer I'd always passed by on our way to the "real traditional tractor dealers". The result was a new M59 Kubota back in 2008. It is now a member of the family. One of the best investments we ever made. All those trouble-free years!

Enjoy your new tractor. Please do learn how to post pictures!!
rScotty

LandScaping_2.JPGCulvert_2.jpgRiver Rock_1.jpg

/ A good day!
Hi again, folks.
I must make apologies to DK35Vince. You were bang on about the DK not having power shift. I messed up in my notes (in my defence, we'd looked at a pile of tractors in a few short hours & I had 20 unfamiliar model numbers rattling around in my old head) & wrote DK45SE when I should have written DS4510.
Now, I just have to wait 'till Saturday when it'll be delivered to the ferry dock on Vancouver Island. I'll drive it onto the ferry & will have a truck / trailer waiting when the boat arrives on this side. Can hardly wait!
Is there a tutorial available on how to post pics?
Cheers! Dan