A heap of crap

/ A heap of crap #11  
Something else that works in soil with a lot of clay is sawdust, when it decomposes it holds a lot of moisture as well.
If you go to where the nurseries have there home base you will find that is what they use to boost the soil.

/ A heap of crap #12  
never thought about saw dust...does it matter from what type of tree/wood you get the saw dust from ?

/ A heap of crap #13  
   / A heap of crap #14  
Saw dust will pull the nitrogen from the soil as it breaks down.
Same with using wood chips for mulch.
Just sayin'

/ A heap of crap
The manure that was given to me was in a heap about 5 foot tall, 30 foot long and about 10-12 foot wide. He started on one side and kept going down into the "stuff" that had been there awhile. No smell and it really looked like potting soil. I hope to clean him out of it in the future. It certainly has improved the look of the soil. We have had a rain last week and I am waiting for the garden to dry out a little and till it again. I have plants in starter pots that are ready to go. DSCN1373.jpg

DSCN1376.jpg

/ A heap of crap
Sawdust, might even be worth considering and I can add nitrogen to the soil or plant peas and beans. I fertilize anyway. I just need to get this soil to the stage that it is workable as a garden. I know sand is not an option. :ashamed:

I appreciate everyones ideas and information. Soil improvement for a garden has got to be one of the top concerns for any gardener. I have a lease not too far from the house and its soil is FANTASTIC and makes me wish I could load up a dump truck of some fine working black dirt and bring it homs. :laughing:

But then our garden there would suffer, so I'll just keep working them both and hopefully my home garden will improve. Those dang dirt clods that are hard to break up unless the soil is bone dry is a pain in the backside. Even with a tractor driven tiller, they are hard to break up. If the soil has any moisture, tilling just makes a smaller clod that will dry and feel like working with river rock in the garden. I'd be afraid to hill potatoes because the soil would break too many branches as the plants are pelted with the clods.

Thanks again,

Bart