A lost Asset in Auto Transmissions

/ A lost Asset in Auto Transmissions #121  
I have great trouble doing slides, drifts, donuts, etc... with the GM electronic throttle VS the cable throttle. I do this in snow, when no one is around, generally at the start of snow season to get use to how a car handles in snow again. I have a much easier time controlling wheel spin with the cable throttle cars and trucks.

I'm powersliding every chance I get. Sold my jeep this fall so I'll have to use the Rav. Not as fun in my long wheelbase truck or front wheel drives which is what the 3 other vehicles are. I'm not a good example for the kids and my wife hates it but it does keep you sharp on your skills.

/ A lost Asset in Auto Transmissions #122  
I knew something was different when I drove my first drive by wire car and at the time I did not know it was drive by wire...

Back in the 90's with a BMW rental in Switzerland.... the throttle just felt different... especially if you punched it...

BMW has plenty of comments on the message boards and some called the difference "Notchy"...

/ A lost Asset in Auto Transmissions #123  
There's a few chip burners out there that will reprogram the chip in our 2013 Impala to help eliminate that throttle lag, which would be a huge step in the right direction, but it still won't provide much feel. Its kind of weird right now. You stomp, you wait a very perceivable amount of time for something to happen, then the tires smoke! :laughing:

/ A lost Asset in Auto Transmissions #124  
There's a few chip burners out there that will reprogram the chip in our 2013 Impala to help eliminate that throttle lag, which would be a huge step in the right direction, but it still won't provide much feel. Its kind of weird right now. You stomp, you wait a very perceivable amount of time for something to happen, then the tires smoke! :laughing:

That is opposite of what should happen. The beauty of drive by wire is that fuel and air can be delivered at the same time by the computer rather than the computer having to first sense the additional airflow and then decide it needs more fuel. Kind of like an accelerator pump on a carburetor.

/ A lost Asset in Auto Transmissions #125  
That is opposite of what should happen. The beauty of drive by wire is that fuel and air can be delivered at the same time by the computer rather than the computer having to first sense the additional airflow and then decide it needs more fuel. Kind of like an accelerator pump on a carburetor.
I know. There's many conversations on Chevy and Impala forums about the lag and lack of feel in this pedal. Supposedly, the 2014 Impala has a different program to remove much of the delay. Once mine reaches end of warranty, I'm going to play with it.

/ A lost Asset in Auto Transmissions #126  
I don't think anyone had mentioned the fact that newer vehicles that don't have the 2nd gear start ability is likely due to the final gearing. Back in the day you had 4.56, 4.11 gears today they don't go that low. So 2nd gear starts are a lot harder on trans and motor. Might be why they are limited to 1st gear starts only.

/ A lost Asset in Auto Transmissions #127  
I don't think anyone had mentioned the fact that newer vehicles that don't have the 2nd gear start ability is likely due to the final gearing. Back in the day you had 4.56, 4.11 gears today they don't go that low. So 2nd gear starts are a lot harder on trans and motor. Might be why they are limited to 1st gear starts only.
My 1997 Volvo V90 has a "Winter" mode where it will start in 2nd or 3rd gear and it has 3.73 gears.

Aaron Z

/ A lost Asset in Auto Transmissions #128  

My 2011 f150 has 3.73 gears and allows 3rd gear starts as well. All their rear ends even the economy gears allow 3rd gear starts as well as does the small v6 motor options. Slipping the trans for a gentle start periodically shouldn't hurt anything.