A monkey wrench afternoon

/ A monkey wrench afternoon #11  
Sh-- happens quick. The closest I have come to tipping mine over was dragging a brush pile.I would like to have that oak here an run it through my saw mill.:)
goes with ought saying Glad you didn't get hurt
Army Grunt

/ A monkey wrench afternoon #12  
WOW!

You are right - very lucky it didn't go over on you. I have gotten in the (bad) habit of not putting up the rops & buckling up when I clear the snow. My driveway is built up about 10'. One moment of inattention & I could have a major problem. Ya convinced me by your post :) rops up, buckle on - I can always repair the garage when I inevitably hit it with the rops.

/ A monkey wrench afternoon
Sh-- happens quick. The closest I have come to tipping mine over was dragging a brush pile.I would like to have that oak here an run it through my saw mill.:)
goes with ought saying Glad you didn't get hurt
Army Grunt

AG a stem like this one used to bring a pretty penny up here and I once made a living from it. Now this part of the economy has gone to heck so its worth more as firewood as there is not a sufficient market to bring stems to any saw house. The last vestige up here was a pallet maker and he is now gone as well.

/ A monkey wrench afternoon #14  
Glad it turned out OK for you and the tractor.
The side shift may not be the total answer though. My shift lever is on the left side right beside my thigh. I am always catching my chaps on that lever. In the summer if I wear short pants the lever catches in my pant leg. I have to check before I jump down that I'm not caught on it. My wife thinks I look funny dangling by a pant leg with both feet off the ground. :(

Glad it turned out OK for you and the tractor.
The side shift may not be the total answer though. My shift lever is on the left side right beside my thigh. I am always catching my chaps on that lever. In the summer if I wear short pants the lever catches in my pant leg. I have to check before I jump down that I'm not caught on it. My wife thinks I look funny dangling by a pant leg with both feet off the ground. :(

Don't know how much longer I can do the acrobatics to dismount the tractor. I wonder how this is going to be in my seventies which is disgustingly close. I know what you mean about clothes getting caught on levers. I can do the same with my outerwear on my fel levers. Other than a hydrostatic, I do not know what else has a flat floor without a lever being in the way someplace

/ A monkey wrench afternoon #16  
I re-read this a couple times.
Are you saying just the rock in the pic caused the tractor to tip? and you were not chained to the tree on the stump getting ready to pull it down?

I really like the open platform (on my 4300 HST). Much nicer working in the woods (my woods isn't flat like yours :) ). I don't want to be having to pull mine back upright.
Did the rear blade keep the tractor from going all the way down?

Thanks for the pics. Good lessons or warnings can come from your experience.

I re-read this a couple times.
Are you saying just the rock in the pic caused the tractor to tip? and you were not chained to the tree on the stump getting ready to pull it down?

I really like the open platform (on my 4300 HST). Much nicer working in the woods (my woods isn't flat like yours :) ). I don't want to be having to pull mine back upright.
Did the rear blade keep the tractor from going all the way down?

Thanks for the pics. Good lessons or warnings can come from your experience.

No, It was just the rock. I was not on the tractor. When I hopped off I accidently struck the shift lever with my foot and it got knocked into reverse. The tractor then backed over the rock which was about a foot away from the rear tire before I could do anything so I just stayed out of the way. The rock can be seen under the chain pulling the tractor over. I did not mean for this a safety reminder. The whole thing just struck me as so peculiar and yes comical that I had to document it. The tractor was completely over before I pulled it up abit with the come along. The whole thing took about 20 minutes from when the tractor went over to righting it up again and continue to drag stems. I had to shut the tractor off as it stayed running when it went over.

/ A monkey wrench afternoon #18  
Glad you didn't get hurt, I guess that is a good argument for the necessity of operator/seat safety switches!

/ A monkey wrench afternoon #19  
When I was a young boy, the local barber was pushing on a tree with an old Ford tractor w no ROPS. The rotten tree snapped above the bucket. A large piece fell on his head and killed him. His wife found him hours later on the back side of their property. Trees and tractors can make for a deadly combo in a split second. Glad your story ended well. Two of my favorite things is a tractor and a Stihl chainsaw. I still breath easier when the tree is on the ground.

/ A monkey wrench afternoon #20  
Everyone is willing to accept another safety switch rather than insisting that the tractor manufacturers design them safer and ergonomically. After all they are made to operate with human, not a robot. There should be no reason that a design could not accomodate the human body with enough clearances to operate it in a safe manner and get on and off in a safe manner while fully clothed. Flat deck helps, but when the mfg. puts levers, pedals etc in the way so that you cant get on or off without hanging up on hydraulics, hydrostat pedals etc, then it is time to redesign.