A New Idea..

/ A New Idea.. #1  

Jag

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota /L2650/ LA450/B4690 -- John Deere 450 Dozer
A few days back I posted about the crew cutting brush down the power line across the front of my property using a couple of super-duty cutters.. While talking to them, one of the things I noticed that was unusal, was that the had the front tires reverised on their 4WD. They said that they do a lot of backing when cutting and also the the can back out of bad ground much easier. Read not getting stuck. They said they had more control backing up steep hills and banks.. Next was the way they carried their chain saws, had a small clip angle welded on the floor board to take the heel of the saw, and cut a whole for the blade under the sheet metal that is next to the fender, so the tip of the blade points back to the rear axle. I did take some pictures of their rigs. One last thing talking about the dozer operaters being different, they said that they will roll a tractor over a little more than once a month. The older operator said he could not even say how many times he had rolled.

/ A New Idea.. #2  
Thats why more and more companies are starting to listen to there works out in the fields,for they can improve on ideas which save $$$.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ A New Idea.. #3  
I have seen a number of owners flip their rims to obtain better stability. As the Pontiac commercials use to go 'wider is better'. But… my Kubota Owner's manual states under the heading 'Front Wheels', "IMPORTANT: Do not turn front discs to obtain wider tread." (It is also stated under 'Rear Wheels' heading). They don't explain the issue, but I accept the factory's advice.

/ A New Idea.. #4  
Roy - what tractor do you have? On the B series, at least my 1700, Kubota says it is OK to switch the rear rims around.

/ A New Idea.. #5  
It does make some sense to reverse the tread on the fronts (assuming R1 or R4 directional tread), that would help with traction in reverse. The manuals probably recommend against widening the front due to affects on steering geometry. If you were to reverse the tread, just swap sides and keep the outward faces out. That way the width will remain the same. Also, since the front axle pivots to the frame, the real stability is in the rear axle.

2-31702-RonS_Sig.gif

/ A New Idea.. #6  
BX2200 (Sorry for the delay responding... was on a buisness trip... again).