A new tractor but which one?

/ A new tractor but which one? #11  
How about just adding the Ventrac to your existing equipment lineup? Keep your 2520 for most of the flat and lessor slope work, and use the Ventrac for the severe slope stuff.

I have one very small area I mow with a 22 degree slope here. It definitely gives me a pucker factor. I can mow most of that spot straight up and straight down, with room to turn after it flattens out at the top and bottom. If I didn't have flat areas to turn around at top and bottom, I don't think I would mow it at all.

How much of the severe slope area really has to be worked at all? Can you leave some of the worst areas alone?

BINGO! :thumbsup:

/ A new tractor but which one? #12  
I live on sloped land and couldn稚 agree more on rear tire width.
I have a NH tc29 that is very capable of pulling rotary mowers, box scrapers, etc., but that short distance between rear wheels is no good on sloping ground or even rough surfaces, rocks, holes, etc.
I just bought a replacement tractor and had them work the wheels to give me 7-7 1/2 foot spread. Live and learn and all of us tracto shopping should consider this.

/ A new tractor but which one? #13  
I will echo what others are saying in a different way. This is how I narrowed down my choice of machines.

Make up a spreadsheet of wants vs needs and then the cost of accomplishing each. I also made up a list of jobs that I could contract out or perform with rental equipment and how many times those jobs would be needed/wanted.

Things begin to jump out quickly.

Good advice above at considering two different machines if that is what is really needed. Also, is it cost effective to grade the bad areas and/or provide spots for safely turning the tractor/mower? I have seen a lot of dirt moved for $10k.

Renting an 80 HP bulldozer costs about $1250/wk or $4000/mo.

/ A new tractor but which one?
Thank you for this valuable information. I have many more questions and more time this afternoon to ask them. I am going to leave you with two videos from youtube that I found yesterday and a picture of my only relatively flat land. I'll take some of the slopes and send in. I want my land to look a little like the videos and yes my slopes are just as extreme but planted with Setaria grass/ Lantana which is tall and just awful. Call me crazy but I am thinking a front mount mower with dual wheels is perfect for my hills. I'd keep the tractor for the utility jobs and accept it lacks just enough power. What are your thoughts? Even JD is a 20% cheaper than Ventrac and much more powerful. I am yet to find out what kinds of attachments can fit the front mount mowers.

Modified John Deere 158 - Steep Slope Mowing clip 2 of 2 - YouTube
FarmerTorque - Mowing a Mountain! - Ok, a Very Steep Hill!!! - YouTube

The only flat spot:
20200516_154302.jpg

/ A new tractor but which one?
I live on sloped land and couldn稚 agree more on rear tire width.
I have a NH tc29 that is very capable of pulling rotary mowers, box scrapers, etc., but that short distance between rear wheels is no good on sloping ground or even rough surfaces, rocks, holes, etc.
I just bought a replacement tractor and had them work the wheels to give me 7-7 1/2 foot spread. Live and learn and all of us tracto shopping should consider this.

7 1/2 foot is massive. How did they achieve this? I've been to JD and Kubota and they state they don't do offer spacers or dual wheels.