A new twist to job requirements....

/ A new twist to job requirements.... #1  

TerryinMD

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 4100 HST
I am using the Monster Board to find a new job. Great site with lots of postings. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I have a search "agent" set up that creates a listing of possible job requirements and it is sent to me on a daily basis - now how cool is that!! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

In one of the listings offered this morning, I came upon something that I have never seen before as a job requirement. It was listed under "Working Environment and Physical Demands". The job title is for a "Technical Product Architect" - a nice way of saying a software designer. Here is the text:

<font color=blue>WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Performs majority of the job sitting with some walking and standing. Requires talking and hearing. May lift up to 25 lbs. Requires close clear vision at 20 inches or less. Environment noise level runs from quiet to moderate. Moderate to high level of stress with often multiple activities/projects happening at the same time.</font color=blue>

Is this something new? I have seen and heard of physical demands for construction, manufacturing, delivery, etc., but, for a desk job?? Hello - are we getting more and more PC in hiring practices? /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif Are they being "nice" at saying in a round-about-way, no handicapped people please!! /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

Terry

/ A new twist to job requirements.... #2  
The company where I work includes that type of info in what is called a "Job Fact Sheet." Every position in the company uses the same form. Points are assigned to each answer and the questions are weighted according to the position they describe. It's used to determine wages. But putting that info on a job posting does seem rather ridiculous.

/ A new twist to job requirements.... #3  
Could it also be that firms "standardized HR formatting"? May be in all of their job descriptions.

/ A new twist to job requirements.... #4  
<font color=red>"Performs majority of the job sitting"</font color=red>

Where is this job? Iam highly qualified.........Mike

/ A new twist to job requirements.... #5  
<font color=blue>Performs majority of the job sitting"

Where is this job? Iam highly qualified.........Mike </font color=blue>

Definetly over-rated. I sit for a majority of my day and it is boooring! Very hard to stay awake after lunch/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ A new twist to job requirements.... #6  
hopefully this doesn't sound political and merit a "spanking" .... but I would consider it par-for-the-course nowadays with the government doing eberything it possibly can to make you hire by quotas instead of capabilities.
Spelling out the job requirements ensures you cannot be accused, later, of creating requirements to exclude certain people.
I got real p.o.'d some time ago and told the HR weasels that the only way I could make them (HR) happy would be to hire a one-legged, pregnant eskimo female ... heck, I have yto provide a monthly list of my promotable females (not PEOPLE!)

/ A new twist to job requirements.... #7  
Not just the govt - it's everywhere. Procedures, protocols, standards - the systemic removal of any required thought process.

It really is too bad common sense ain't /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif.