A nice free pop-up blocker...

/ A nice free pop-up blocker... #11  
Only thing wrong with pop-up blockers is ..... they block pop-ups. All pop-ups. Even ones you might want.
We spent over a week and a half trying to solve a problem with several users at work who were unable to use our internet procurement tool. It was java based and opens a new window (similar to a pop-up) to start the application.
It suddenly dawned on me that the problem appeared to be no response and had to be some sort of security block (other than our corporate firewall) ... so I started questioning what software - internet software or browser software - they'd downloaded lately .... sure enough .... pop-up blocker.
That was about 80 manhours of research .... expensive download!
So .... I'm not against pop-up blockers (although I don't use them) .... just letting y'all know thay can cause - as well as solve - problems.

pete

/ A nice free pop-up blocker... #12  
opera allows popups to be turned off at on with a couple of keystokes. New version of opera are suppose to have allow list for popups.

/ A nice free pop-up blocker... #13  
Try this one wingnut. I never had one before either as it always blocked the JD popups when I was looking on the website. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I tryed this one. It actually asks you if you want to block the popup or allow it. Pretty neat to use really compared to the others I've used.

/ A nice free pop-up blocker... #14  
thanks Richard ... maybe I'll give it a look.
Guess I've been lucky, most of the sites that I do manage to find time to browse don't punish me overmuch with pop-ups or pop-behinds ... so it's never been a real concern.

pete

/ A nice free pop-up blocker... #15  
With my new HP laptop, running Windows XP Home. I keep getting little Messenger Service pop ups that keep telling me to got to various sites to download messenger blockers etc, so that I don't get any more of these pop up's.
I am assuming that these pop ups are related to the Window Messenger system, but am not posative.
Is this blocker from Alexa and others I see listed here, designed to eliminate these Messenger Service pop up's or is there a setting in my system that I have over looked ?
My desktop running the same OS does not get these Messenger pop up's. I have both computers tied together with a wireless network, but I know that it has nothing to do with it.

/ A nice free pop-up blocker... #16  
Apple's new proprietary browser (called Safari) has a popup blocker. I'm convinced it's a blessing. Whenever I go back to Explorer, I'm amazed at how many popups there are everywhere. I gladly take the "cost" of losing an occasional popup in which I may be interested for benefit of blocking zillions of annoying popups.

/ A nice free pop-up blocker... #17  
Mark: I hope somebody has the answer. Since I got my new Dell PC, I've gotten the same thing whenever I'm on-line (AOL). I activated AOL pop-up blocker with no effect. I installed McAffee Firewall - no effect. Still get them things. I never got them when I was using Win2K. I don't want to turn messenger service off completely because that would disable the status reports from my printer (right?). Somebody Help - please!!

/ A nice free pop-up blocker... #18  
<font color="blue"> I don't want to turn messenger service off completely because that would disable the status reports from my printer (right?) </font>
Correct. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I use Popup Dummy. Works great.

/ A nice free pop-up blocker... #19  
New Netscape 7.1 has an excellent popup blocker.