A question about the PT1460

/ A question about the PT1460
PT owners definitely seem to be a fairly self-sufficient crowd for the most part, just judging by many of the threads in this forum. It definitely seems to be a simple machine overall, and one that is easy to modify as well. I generally do all the routine maintenance for anything I own, so a PT wouldn't be any different. But for anything beyond basic maintenance, I'm fortunate enough to have a relative that works at a local machine shop where they do all manner of fixes on backhoes, skid steers, etc. I'm sure they would probably find working on a PT to be easy compared to the stuff they see on an average day.

/ A question about the PT1460 #12  
I don't have a picture of the MX5200 I recently bought to post at the moment, but in my personal opinion, the hydraulic filter on the MX5200 is mounted under the operator platform similar to my L2501 like the photo I'm attaching.

Besides the matter of ground clearance, you may want to take a closer look at where the hydraulic lines and filters are positioned on the MX5400 if you are thinking about buying one to use in the woods.

Attachments

• lines.jpg
    lines.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 175

/ A question about the PT1460
Do any PT owners put fluid in the rear tires for extra ballast? Just wondering if that has a negative impact on the wheel motors?

/ A question about the PT1460 #14  
Do any PT owners put fluid in the rear tires for extra ballast? Just wondering if that has a negative impact on the wheel motors?
I don't, but to answer your question, since the fluid is in the tire, it has almost no effect on the motor and the motor bearings. I.e. the weight is outboard to the motor.

What is the "almost"? When you get close to tipping, when that upper rear tire starts to lift, you are putting the weight of the tire plus ballast on the wheel motor bearings, but that weight is small compared to the normal load on the motors. Negligible in my view.

All the best,

Peter

/ A question about the PT1460 #15  
My pt1460 is 79" tall. Best machine decision I've made. Had a pt425 for a couple of years then got a tracked loader for the heavy stuff, picked up the pt1460 this year to replace the pt425 and tracked machine and have no regrets. I've had standard tractors, near impossible to think about going back unless it was for farming or some very specific task. You are welcome to try mine out, I'm not far from you, just north of Charlotte.

I finally got an adapter welded up to use my skid steer attachments so I'll be parting ways with some of my duplicates. Let me know if you end up getting one and need the utility grapple or snow blade.

/ A question about the PT1460 #16  

I doubt there is any adverse effect on the wheel motor but you are maybe talking 40lbs of added weight. Not much with a 26” tire.

/ A question about the PT1460 #17  
I doubt there is any adverse effect on the wheel motor but you are maybe talking 40lbs of added weight. Not much with a 26” tire.
You might want to double check that math. Did you lose a digit?

Envirotech thinks a 12-16.5 tire can hold 146lbs of ballast...

Rimguard thinks it is more like 175lbs/tire;

(Never used ballast, so I have no endorsements...)

All the best,

Peter

/ A question about the PT1460 #18  
You might want to double check that math. Did you lose a digit?

Envirotech thinks a 12-16.5 tire can hold 146lbs of ballast...

Rimguard thinks it is more like 175lbs/tire;

(Never used ballast, so I have no endorsements...)

All the best,

Peter

I figured you could only get 5 gallons max. Seems like they are filling beyond 50% which I thought was a no no.

/ A question about the PT1460 #19  
I have always heard to fill to the top of the rim. That would be more like 75 - 80%.

Ken

/ A question about the PT1460 #20  
I think that the general practice is up to 80% or so. I'm sure that individual terrain, loads, and driving practice factor into what a "good" level is. Plowing a cornfield with leveled approaches is one use case. Driving a PT over uneven ground at full load might be another...

I've never added tire ballast, so I'm no expert.

All the best,

Peter