A Question for Sailors

/ A Question for Sailors #11  
There is got to be more to this story. Either that, or this was one monumental screwup from both parties. But I guess people are people, and they all have lapses in judgement.

/ A Question for Sailors #12  
There is got to be more to this story. Either that, or this was one monumental screwup from both parties. But I guess people are people, and they all have lapses in judgement.

I agree. I want to know how a ship got within 1000 meters of a war ship

Brett

/ A Question for Sailors #13  
There's a ton more to the story, wait for a bit and it will all come out. I have spent too many hours on watch in sonar, Combat Information Center, bridge, and flag bridges of just about every type of navy vessel and one thing I know is this part of the world, at night, is tough navigation. Not as tough as straits of Malacca or the strait of Hormuz, but still tough.
Remember, only a million things can go wrong on ships underway.
MT

/ A Question for Sailors
I don't anything about navigation in those waters, my "sea" duty was confined to the Chesapeake Bay, the NC and Delmarva coasts, and one voyage to Bermuda.:)

The closest to a collusion I experienced occurred in the Chesapeake Bay. I was on watch when we observed a tug pushing a barge off our port bow. After noting that the tug was maintaining a constant bearing, the OOD notified the captain, who came to the bridge. The tug maintained a constant bearing and the captain relieved the OOD. We came within a hundred yards of the tug before the captain reversed engines and blasted the ship's horn. I could see the tug captain look back while going on his merry way.

I remember giving a sworn statement regarding the incident, but I never learned what discipline the tug captain received.

Steve

/ A Question for Sailors #15  
I don't anything about navigation in those waters, my "sea" duty was confined to the Chesapeake Bay, the NC and Delmarva coasts, and one voyage to Bermuda.:)

The closest to a collusion I experienced occurred in the Chesapeake Bay. I was on watch when we observed a tug pushing a barge off our port bow. After noting that the tug was maintaining a constant bearing, the OOD notified the captain, who came to the bridge. The tug maintained a constant bearing and the captain relieved the OOD. We came within a hundred yards of the tug before the captain reversed engines and blasted the ship's horn. I could see the tug captain look back while going on his merry way.

I remember giving a sworn statement regarding the incident, but I never learned what discipline the tug captain received.

Steve

Hm... "collusion" huh... how was that tug flagged? I sure hope it wasn't Russian.....:D

/ A Question for Sailors
Hm... "collusion" huh... how was that tug flagged? I sure hope it wasn't Russian.....:D

How embarrassing. I will never live down the shame.:ashamed::ashamed::ashamed:

Steve

/ A Question for Sailors #17  
How embarrassing. I will never live down the shame.:ashamed::ashamed::ashamed:

Steve

As the chief of the "police". I would think impeachment might be in order. So disappointing....:D

/ A Question for Sailors #20  
I too am waiting more information to come to light.

During my service on Frigates, Destroyers and one stint on a Replenishment Ship, a bridge watch consisted of the OOW, Boatswain's Mate and TWO lookouts. There was at least one RADAR display on the Bridge. The Operations Room (aft of the Bridge) was also manned by Radar Operators & a plotter. Depending on the class of ship, the Helmsman & Telegraphman were also on the Bridge or 3 decks below. Oh, and there was a Lifebouy Sentry on the Quarterdeck (AX).

And then the ships started relying on 'technology' and, therefore, 'minimum manning'. Towards the end of my seagoing career the Lookouts were eliminated as an 'at sea' part of the watch and the same thing happened to the AX Sentry.

Large Merchant Ships, with their minimum crew, reliance on technology and inertia just lumbered along... any 'fine' for a navigational infraction would be handled by their corporate owners.