Comparison A Question most of us ask when we're looking to buy a tractor,

/ A Question most of us ask when we're looking to buy a tractor, #11  
At least for me ... I think a loader on a first tractor is a must. This immediately replaces the wheelbarrow and shovel misery that so limits what you can accomplish. You soon think of new applications that the loader makes possible - unloading a heavy welder for example or storing seasonal stuff on pallets and moving them with forks. The loader opens up a whole new world.

While a loader on the first tractor is essential, 4x4 is a nice addition where you can afford the added cost. 2x4 with loader isn't nearly so limiting as no loader at all.

Related - I think around 20~25 horsepower is the dividing line where 2 wheel drive is sufficient for many tasks. Below that a 2wd is too light for ground-engaging work (except rototilling).

Added - just saw the two preceding posts. I disagree on the claimed limits of 2wd with loader. The issue here is cost as a constraint on choices. Where cost limits options, choose the loader.

/ A Question most of us ask when we're looking to buy a tractor, #12  
My 2 cents:
1) If you NEED a FEL, spend the $10k on a 2WD w/ a FEL
2) If you NEED 4WD, buy the $10k 4WD
3) If you NEED both, you need to prioritize or keep looking

/ A Question most of us ask when we're looking to buy a tractor, #13  
4wd with loader handier than pockets on a shirt! :thumbsup:

/ A Question most of us ask when we're looking to buy a tractor, #14  
I would pick 4 wd. You can save for the loader later like I did. It would be difficult if not impossible to add 4wd later

/ A Question most of us ask when we're looking to buy a tractor, #15  
I'd get the 4wd, reasons:
More power to ground, and it's safer. It cannot be added later.
I can do SOME things with a 3ph and attachments that I can do with a FEL, and FEL can be added when I get more money.

Agonizing choice, but that's the way I would do it given only those two options.

The reality is that EVERY time I take my tractor out of 4wd, I almost immediately discover why I like 4wd...somehow wheels start spinning. Except when on a roadway, I am always in 4wd.

Now, me being me, I'd look for something that had BOTH for the 10K...somewhere on the used market...or more used market...I'd REALLY be loathe to give up either.

/ A Question most of us ask when we're looking to buy a tractor, #16  
Why not both? That works for me - although each is over 25 years old. So is the backhoe. And the tiller. I'm still under $10k total.

See my sig.

/ A Question most of us ask when we're looking to buy a tractor,
Very justifiable answers and advice, I can agree on both having 4wd and a FEL , if I could afford a decent tractor with both options I certainly would have them, Let me turn this around once again by asking...... If you had to give up one or the other option ( 4wd or FEL ) which one could you do without? ;)

/ A Question most of us ask when we're looking to buy a tractor, #18  
For our area 4wd. I came real close to maken a big mess the other day on the 5103. 2wd. FEL. on a broken water line. I'm well experienced on what "Not" to do so it was easily avoided. :rolleyes:

/ A Question most of us ask when we're looking to buy a tractor, #19  
I would give up fel. I lived without fel for a long time. I love my fel now that I have it. I wouldn't own another truck ,ATV ,tractor without 4wd. I'm sure others will have a different opinion