A question regarding purple wood.

/ A question regarding purple wood. #21  
Smurfwood?

wouldn't that be Barney smurfs were blue.

sub-square-barney.gif

smurfs-movie.jpg

/ A question regarding purple wood. #22  
Maybe you already know, the purple color will gradually fade to brown with exposure to sunlight. Still real pretty wood, though.

/ A question regarding purple wood. #23  
Exposure to light will change the color of most woods. But you have cedar for sure, as many have witnessed. :)

Going to burn it, turn it, or make something else from it?

/ A question regarding purple wood.
Exposure to light will change the color of most woods. But you have cedar for sure, as many have witnessed. :)

Going to burn it, turn it, or make something else from it?

I guess I'll burn it. Had I known before I cut it I might have tried to use it for something else. Now that I know it's cedar, I can use it on the bottom row of the wood pile as an insect barrier.

/ A question regarding purple wood. #25  
for sure cedar, my place is full of red cedar. Some are just purple inside. The stringy stuff on the outside is the bark.

/ A question regarding purple wood. #26  
   / A question regarding purple wood. #28  
if it is really purple cedar, the log would have been vary valuable. it was so rare that the Chinese Dynasties for bid people to sue it. they reserved it for building long lasting palaces,
Burning it is wasteful. I would see it can be made into something..

/ A question regarding purple wood. #29  
I've never seen wood this color. It really is purple. The color is more striking in person than in this photo (taken just after the wood was split).

purple-wood-1.JPG

The tree in question has been dead for a long time -- in February of '09 when I got the place the tree looked quite dead. There is no bark or leaves.

Does anybody know what kind of tree this is? I'm curious since the color is so odd.

Hey , I know for sure that the tree in the pic is a hardwood tree that stands at least 50 ft tall . Surely not a cedar . I cut the same type of tree down myself .i think it might be a cottonwood or a cherry possible blackcherry . Here's a pic of mine hardwood trees heart . Ready Randy.

Last edited: