A Small dump trailer build

/ A Small dump trailer build #11  
I see a problem besides not having a steep enough angle for dumping dirt is the back end of your dump needs to be at the end of the pivot.

I have repaired many homemade dumps because the very back is past the pivot point of the dump. The entire load may get hung up and rest on the overhang bending the frame of the overhang.

The frame does need to be beefed up that is for sure, I have to add some bracing to mine when I can get around to it.

/ A Small dump trailer build
Need to change something, thought you guys had doubts as to the deck, now I see you were referring to the frame. the frame is box tube with c channel. One thing is the rear spring mount goes to the back of the frame and just misses siting under the hinge. I could have built it heavier, but worked hard to keep it light, and since it is a yard trailer i think it will hold up

Last edited:
   / A Small dump trailer build #14  
I really like the rugged simplicity of your dump trailer.
Only thing I would change is to have more tilt. I too have seen stuff stick to the bed where a little more angle helps get it ALL sliding off. How much do you think it will hold when you get the sides on ... a yard or so ... maybe a little less?

/ A Small dump trailer build #15  
I really like the rugged simplicity of your dump trailer.
Only thing I would change is to have more tilt. I too have seen stuff stick to the bed where a little more angle helps get it ALL sliding off. How much do you think it will hold when you get the sides on ... a yard or so ... maybe a little less?

I agree with Rob, more tilt, for sure. Go for a minimum of 60 degrees. (90 being straight up/vertical).

I like the construction, looks nice and solid! :D

/ A Small dump trailer build #16  
When I was a kid I had an old 1928 Model AA Ford truck. It had a home made dump body that raised with a hand crank winch made from an old transmission. The cable went from the winch drum to an a frame tower back down to the edge of the dump body. It worked great. I wish I had some pictures. Actually I wish I still had the old Ford.

/ A Small dump trailer build #17  
I have a HF shop crane with 8 ton long throw hydraulic cylinder. Yesterday I replaced the cylinder with an air over hydraulic version, also from HF. Works great. Either cylinder would be a good one for a small dumper.

The air powered one can also be operated with the supplied mechanical pump handle.

Too bad I don't need a small dumper as the now spare cylinder would be ideal. (I have a 10,000 lb 7x12x2 ft box dump trailer which handles my needs.)

Pat

/ A Small dump trailer build #18  
Has anyone found a good source for electric hydro units? I would love to use a regular hydraulic cylinder, but there are none available here for less than a grand. and northern tool and the rest will not ship here unless it is 2nd day air. that makes it very cost prohibitive. A sissiors dump would be perfect, but getting one to use a hydraulic jack has been difficult.

When I built my garden size dump trailer I bought the power pack at a truck wrecking yard. It cost $125. Check lift gate trucks, Handicap vans, tow trucks, crane trucks. I think if you have a little patience you'll find something suitable within a reasonable price range.

The other option is to look for Linear actuators. These are the screw type actuators that they use on ATV carts like you mentioned in your first post. RV power jacks are the same thing, but are not always called by the same name. The linear actuators are a compromise. They don't require all the space and weight of a hydraulic motor, pump, reservoir, and valve; but they are also a little slower and aren't as powerful as hydraulics. I bet you'd still like it better than the hand pump idea.

/ A Small dump trailer build #19  
Like the heft of your frame. Here's mine. Posted in a thread back in the spring, if interested in the details. Been using it all summer. Works great! Only problem is don't try to dump sideways on a hill. Turned it over and bent the tongue. I guess that why some guys have reinforced the tongue. You'll need as steeper angle to dump effectively, though.

Attachments

• PICT0016 (2) compressed.JPG
    PICT0016 (2) compressed.JPG
    346.1 KB · Views: 2,411
  • PICT0017 (2) compressed.JPG
    PICT0017 (2) compressed.JPG
    349 KB · Views: 2,797
  • PICT0014 (2) compressed.JPG
    PICT0014 (2) compressed.JPG
    387.4 KB · Views: 4,494
   / A Small dump trailer build #20  
Today I hauled 5 loads in my 6 1/4 yard (2x7x12 box) dump trailer. I selected a draw bar with very little drop to raise the front of the trailer to aid in dumping the dirt. Even with the bed nearly vertical I had to "jump" the truck forward to get the dirt to fall. So much for the theory and the angle of repose.

HF sells a long throw hydraulic cylinder that is manual pump or air powered. It is an upgrade for their shop cranes. You can buy a small 12 volt compressor to run it. Not real fast (depending on your little compressor) but it takes little effort to depress the control valve. It is rated for 16,000 lbs.

Pat