Ability to climb and descend steep grades.

/ Ability to climb and descend steep grades. #111  
Here's a shot of a hill I routinely go up and down with my RTVX-1120D -- it's an exit for the hunting trail I share with some folks, that dumps back out onto the road. Not too steep -- measures at about 39% grade (about 21 deg).

IMG_6970.jpg

I go up and down in 4WD low. To give you an idea how much engine braking there is with the HST -- going downhill, I still have to depress the HST pedal to maintain the kind of speed I want, otherwise it would be too slow.

Interesting thing about this downhill is that there's a 18" ditch at the bottom, next to the road. Though it's only 39% grade, when you get to the ditch it feels like the RTV is pointing straight into the ground right before the front wheels start rolling up the other side of the ditch.

There is one other hill I hit a lot that is steeper but I haven't measured the slope. I'll do that next chance I get.

/ Ability to climb and descend steep grades.
Thanks for the real world report...

I do think Hydro would be the best safety wise for braking if nothing else.

/ Ability to climb and descend steep grades. #113  
What you should get, (note this is biased with my use the last week) Is a Gator 855D, with tracks. The tracks increase the foot print, and add a lot of stability, and there is plenty of traction to go up the steep hills in 2wd, You have to try hard to get it stuck. I didnt pay attention to engine braking because my use was on flat playa around the Salton Sea in Southern CA, but did go up one steep and short hill....

So I did drive the Samurai to the ranch today and the ground was dry and the grass for 14" tall.

The Sammy had no problems negotiating the terrain... the steepest was not an issue.

Sammy is totally stock... no locking differentials... and it has speed rated Highway tires that I got a deal on... so no all terrain or off road.

This is the first time my brother had ever been down any of the three ridges in a vehicle... so it was new for both of us... I had been up their with the dozer before the rains...

NO RTV yet... still looking for the right deal.

I've owned the Sammy for 20+ years and bought it for $1050 with a transmission noise... turned out it was a bad bearing... less than $75 for parts and a Saturday... also on my third battery now...

/ Ability to climb and descend steep grades. #115  
We operate ATV's and UTV's with pods (you call tracks) and do not leave them on for the summer. All our machines do have power assist steering yet its just to hard to operate them while these are mounted and we are working on dirt or gravel. The machine center of gravity is also raised quite a lot with pods on which makes them more prone for tipping over. In the case of the UTV, these all have cabs which also adds weight to its upper side. For these reasons, we do not leave pods on for summer use.

/ Ability to climb and descend steep grades. #116  
The Sammy had no problems negotiating the terrain... the steepest was not an issue.

I was moving some dirt around last week with my Samurai dumper and failed to compensate
for the liquidity of the mud. It shifted backwards as I ascended my 30% trail and did
a wheelie.

Traction was no problem, even when I could tell my front wheels were off the ground
for the last 30 feet or so. The load was maybe 1200-1500#.

No damage, but I did need my tractor to upright the Sami, and dump the bed.

Attachments

• dumped_1.jpg
    dumped_1.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 325
You do have some steep terrain and I can imagine what a little rain will do.

My Samurai with highway tires and no mods went everywhere I wanted to go around the property a few days ago...

Only needed to use the brakes on the steep descent I posted a picture of... it is along the fence line so it is what it is...

Still ruminating the the Kawasaki Teryx... I saw Thursday.

/ Ability to climb and descend steep grades. #118  
Ultra, have you considered polaris's 6x6, The extra set of tires adds a lot of stability.

Have not made a purchase yet... still thinking something local might turn up.

In dry conditions the Samuari has no problem as long as I get a run at it and don't let up on the throttle...

In wet conditions it is not even possible to walk on foot... the ground is slick as snot as my neighbor would say.