about to pull the trigger on a Yanmar 424

/ about to pull the trigger on a Yanmar 424 #1  

Georgehitch18

Tractor
non
Hi guys,

I've been browsing this forum quite a bit but finally made a profile as I'm about to buy a new tractor. This will be my first personal tractor purchase and I want to get it right the first time. I was born and raised around Kubotas and was always pleased with their tractors growing up but I am also considering Yanmar. I'm new to Yanmar but I have a very good customer who owns a Yanmar dealer. The Kubota store in my town was bought out by the Yanmar dealer and Kubota wouldn't renew their contract to keep them. With this change to my local dealers I really don't have a Kubota dealer that does business with me and being in sales thats an important factor.

I currently only have about 3 acres with a large bank bar, gravel driveway, old fence that needs replaced, etc. my plan is to get about 7 more acres to give the old farmhouse/barn a little bit of property to maintain as I enjoy having a bit of land to maintain.

Although that's an important factor its not the only factor. I always been attracted to the Kubota 2650 with MMM and FEL. It just seemed to be the perfect size tractor to me for my current needs and a bit of growth.

My Yanmar dealer suggested looking at the Yanmar 424 with a 60" FEL and MMM. At first I didn't have much interest but after reading about the Yanmar, interacting with the dealer, checking the tractor out in person I think its a very nice tractor.

So far I've only got numbers on the Yanmar, I was offered $19,500 on a 2018 424 with 60" MMM and 60" FEL delivered to my door. with that price I was also offered 0% for 60 months. I come from car/truck sales and noticed it really hard to tell just how good of a deal it is. I think dealer support is most important in the equation and my local dealer appears to be great. I will add they usually like to negotiate with me on every truck they buy even when I feel I'm giving them a excellent deal so I don't mind asking for extra savings if this deal seems to have room for negotiation.

My two main questions.

Does this appear to be an excellent deal on the tractor?

Would a Kubota 2650 be anywhere close price wise and would it be a better tractor in the long run?

Thanks in advance for any info you guys can provide.

/ about to pull the trigger on a Yanmar 424 #2  
in November I bought a B2650 w/ turf tires and one rear remote, FEL w/ SSQA and a 60" bucket, and a quick hitch for 18,600 out the door. didn't get the MMM. i much prefer a rear finish mower.

/ about to pull the trigger on a Yanmar 424 #3  
I don't think you could go wrong either way. Both Yanmar and Kubota are 100+ year old Japanese Diesel and equipment manufacturers. I call them purebreds because both companies build the entire tractor from the wheels up, including the engine, and put their own name on it. No trade names, no conglomerates, no smoke and mirrors.

Yanmar has built over 15 million Diesel engines for the agricultural, construction, industrial, and marine industries and has been a supplier of engines for all John Deere CUTS for over thirty years. They also assisted some of the Korean manufacturers with their start-ups.

It's interesting you say that your local Kubota dealer switched to Yanmar because the same thing happened here to my dealer in Virginia. I now have two Yanmar dealers and one Kubota dealer within 30 miles of me.

I can't tell you if your price on the 424 is a good deal or not because I haven't been pricing them myself. I'm in the market for a YT235. I would recommend buying a dedicated garden tractor or ZTR instead of the MMM. It'll be faster easier better on the lawn for a similar price. One thing that sticks out with me with the 424 is its excellent ground clearance.

Good luck, both the Yanmar and Kubota are excellent machines.

/ about to pull the trigger on a Yanmar 424 #4  
Both the Yanmar and the Kubota are fine tractors and coincidently I've just recently traded my B2650 on a Yanmar YT359C,their was one thing I noticed about my Kubota when I had it was I could never finesse the FEL smoothly as it always seemed jerky movements while my Yanmar is very smooth operating the loader. I've owned a Kubota L4310 shuttle shift and a Grand L 4310 HST in the past and their controls were very smooth as compared to my Kubota B2650 and I do have a fair amount of experience operating Kubotas for about the past 23 years.

Good luck on whatever you choose, again both great machines.

/ about to pull the trigger on a Yanmar 424 #5  
Georgehitch18, We are looking forward to you joining the Yanmar Owners Group once you close on your purchase of a Yanmar Model SA424.

/ about to pull the trigger on a Yanmar 424 #6  
Georgehitch

If you browse the other Yanmar 424 forums here you will see guys have bought 2016 424 with FEL and Backhoe for $20,600 range. The BH is about a $6K option I think and the MM mower is roughly $2800-3K probably. So $19K is about 1500-2K high IMO. Also if you look on line used 424 with 200 hrs and FEL around $13K. Also scoutcub has a Yanmar 455 for sale too - its a bit bigger than the 424 I think.

/ about to pull the trigger on a Yanmar 424 #7  
George,

Just a couple concepts to consider

1. It's likely there are rebates on your equipment interest of Tartar and accessories. But you won't get them it the 0 interest. Ask the dealer what other financing plans he has that either are 0% with 10% down and with rebates included or with low interest rates. When I bought my Massey there weren't less than6 finance options from Massey.

2. Yanmar is good equipment with a very comfortable cockpit and highly reliable engine. Other than wheel sizes the 324 and 424 are nearly the same but price is lower.

3. Are you getting grill guard and loaded tires? How about does Tamar offer insurance like Massey and kubota do. When I bought my Massey the dealer had virtually no knowledge on the insurance and they were stunned what a great deal it was. Assume Tamar has an option until proven not to. And not just price issues, consider if they will include the first 50 hour service and partsfor it.

/ about to pull the trigger on a Yanmar 424
I know the price was $18,300 without 0% for 60 months. Which still didn稚 impress me a ton I would assume it should be 18ish with 0% for 60 months but it痴 seems to be tough to get tractor prices online. I知 not sure how much extra I知 paying to get the 60 bucket vs the 53 that is claimed to be the biggest they offer on a 424.

I知 not quite sure on the grill guard. Does that come with the FEL?

No loaded tires and no insurance.

/ about to pull the trigger on a Yanmar 424 #9  
George, my point wasn't to ask but to suggest you negotiate those items in. You will want to load your rears because it is the most convenient way to benefit your traction and use of the fel.

Again, recognize that timing is everything. I know on my Massey purchase that every single month the promotions, prices, and rebates/interest finance offerings changed. And dealers are not told what they will be for the next month, until it is the next month. So maybe March should be an effort if you don't like February's pricing.

But I'm curios, you have a number in your head but how would you have that number unless you've talked to other Yanmar dealers???

You said there aren't many prices on the internet. Of course not. Tractor dealers don't advertise their prices because then other dealers will match or discount slightly from that number. Don't confuse car dealers with tractor dealer's methods. . . . It's a whole different market method. Have you contacted a couple Yanmar dealers to get their prices. Visiting them in person gets you a different pricing than calling them Imo.

You need a little leverage and right now you don't have any awareness of what you've been told is a good or bad price for you area. Avoid comparing to prices 500 miles away. . As pricing quite regionally different often depending on dealer's stock levels and selling market and shipping costs to get the units to them.

My point is, ask about various finance plans they may have. Ask if you pay 10% down how it changes things. Politely Ask ask ask. Car dealers are a world apart from tractor dealer's in their training and methods.

Jmho