Above Ground Pool Install

/ Above Ground Pool Install #71  
Hello TXDON,

Do you have any pictures of the finished pool? Boy your ground is all sand. Mine is all rock, what a difference!

Renob, I'm in the middle of installing my above ground pool.

A good book is "The Ultimate Guide to Above-Ground Pools" by Terry Tamminen.

I will be watching this thread closely for advice also.

To blend the pool into the countryside, and since I have the time for fun projects, I am putting the pool below ground level and will have a deck. I am designing it as I go along.

The pool company would charge $1,500 to install plus $500 for each foot lower than ground level. FYI

The advice given so far is good. A laser level is a good tool to have to get the bottom level. You cannot be more than an inch off.

I had to run a 20 amp outlet to the other side of the pool for the pump/filter With the southerly wind I put the skimmer on the north side.

My pool is oval, 18' by 34'.

Hickorynut, the way you described the installation of the liner is exactly how the instruction say to do it. When I asked the installers how they did it they said they just make sure wrinkles are out and fill it up.

Attached are few photos of my "FUN" project.

Picture 1 digging the hole.
Picture 2 smoothing the ground.
Picture 3 - Yesterday I did the final grade by hand and used some concrete tools to get the sand smooth. I got lucky on this site, I only hit rocks on 1/3 of the site.

/ Above Ground Pool Install #72  
Hello TXDON,

Do you have any pictures of the finished pool? Boy your ground is all sand. Mine is all rock, what a difference!

jimbeam, I'm almost finished. I'll get a couple of pics tomorrow. Welcome to TBN, what state are you in?

/ Above Ground Pool Install #74  
I didn't read all the comments here so I may be repeating something someone else has already recommended. After digging out the topsoil where your pool will go you need to put down a good layer of sand. Erect your side walls then install a layer of 1/2 or 1 inch styrofoam over the sand. The first pool I put in I only used sand and in it there were very small but sharp granuals that could be felt through the bottom liner after it was installed. Eventually one of the granuals cut the liner.

/ Above Ground Pool Install #75  
Jimbeam here are a few photos. I'm putting up to solar water heater on the roof, I'll know in two weeks if it works satisfactorily. The deck surrounds the pool at a good height to clean and keep critters out. The weekly volleyball games keep us fit and competitive. Pool temp Sept 7th 85 degrees.

Attachments

• P1000877.jpg
    P1000877.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 516
  • P1000879.jpg
    P1000879.jpg
    1,005.7 KB · Views: 423
  • P1000885.jpg
    P1000885.jpg
    968.5 KB · Views: 321
  • P1000890.jpg
    P1000890.jpg
    879.9 KB · Views: 752
   / Above Ground Pool Install #76  
Hey TxDon, that really looks great!

Who has to get out to go retrieve the volleyball after you spike it?:)

I'm interested to hear how the solar heating works out. I know one of the best things you can use is a translucent bubble insulation pad that you just put on top of the water. It will eliminate the surface cooling as the breeze passes over the water. Also, it allows the sun's radiance to shine thru and warm it during daylight.

/ Above Ground Pool Install #77  
Kyle, the number one rule with our geriatric volleyball group is no spiking!
We have about 30 of the $1 balls so we only have to retrieve balls at the end of each game.

Last year we used the solar cover but it kept getting dirty and it is easier to clean the pool than to clean the cover. On windy days it would be bunched in a corner or on the ground. It did keep the pool warm till mid November.

I'll let you know the results of the solar heater on the roof experiment.

/ Above Ground Pool Install #78  
Hi Don,

The pool and deck area have really come out nice. With all that you have put into it, are you still going to build a house?

Eddie

/ Above Ground Pool Install #79  
Hi Don,

The pool and deck area have really come out nice. With all that you have put into it, are you still going to build a house?

Eddie

Most likely....

/ Above Ground Pool Install #80  
That looks very nice!!! Yes.... its a ongoing battle to keep them clean, but its worth it.
Here in Alaska with the ground temps so cool, I use carpet pad under the pool and I built a dome cover, which makes a great place to grow tomatoes:)

Attachments

• IMG_1596.JPG
    IMG_1596.JPG
    787.9 KB · Views: 748
  • IMG_1600.JPG
    IMG_1600.JPG
    579.1 KB · Views: 629