AC 160 lacks power, or something, I think

/ AC 160 lacks power, or something, I think #1  

mundamanu

Silver Member
Tractor
TC40A, Ford 8600, MF65
I used my new old tractor (Allis Chalmers 160) this weekend to mow the pastures and the first thing that I noticed is that even with the throttle wide open, the RPMs would barely get above 2000, whereas the PTO-speed is marked at 2200 and the max RPMs are at 2700 (maybe 2500).

Going downhill the RPMs would bump up to PTO speed, but on the flats and uphill grades, the RPMs would drop to around 1800-2000, especially in 3rd gear, but also in 2nd and 1st.

The other thing that I noticed was that going uphill, there would occassionally be a loud quick "pop pop" sound.

I don't know if I have provided enough information, but anybody have any guesses why this might be so?

/ AC 160 lacks power, or something, I think
Diesel.

/ AC 160 lacks power, or something, I think #4  
Since you asked for guesses and not a diagnosis, here are mine;

1) fuel delivery problem (fuel pump, injectors, fuel filter, etc.)

2) restricted/blocked exhaust system (critters nesting, etc.)

Good luck and let us know what you find. Is there a prize if I guessed right??? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ AC 160 lacks power, or something, I think #5  
   / AC 160 lacks power, or something, I think #6  
Another possibilty would be (I think) a restricted air filter.

/ AC 160 lacks power, or something, I think #7  
All of these are good suggestions.

I think they general theme here is ...

Engines (gas or diesel) need fuel, air and some way to ignite the fuel. They also need a way to get rid of the air and burnt fuel.

Now i know this sounds very simple, but I've solved more engine problems this way /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Start simple and if you run out of ideas, I guess there is always a service shop!

/ AC 160 lacks power, or something, I think
Thanks for the advice. I will not be back up to the property for a couple of weeks, but I will look into all of the things that you have mentioned. Here's hoping it is something simple. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ AC 160 lacks power, or something, I think #9  
I'm not sure what the prize is but my guess is gonna be fuel problem with one cylinder. If it just had a general lack of power it may be starving for air. The popping indicates to me that one cylinder is misfiring, now ya just gotta figure out which one and why. I think a plugged fuel injector would be a prime canidate, could also be a valve or compression problem. I'm not sure if you could run the engine for a bit and feel the injectors to see if one is cooler then the others that would be your bad cylinder. Thats what we do on aircraft engines. Good luck and let us know the fix.

Phil

/ AC 160 lacks power, or something, I think #10  
I think that tractor has a Perkins engine. Is it a 3 or 4 cylinder? If the poping noise is coming out of the exhaust it probably is a burnt or tight valve.
Chuck M.