AC Electical Question

/ AC Electical Question
"That will leave the unused male cord end laying on the floor??"

No, I thought I'd stick that into the customer's second outlet and then remove
my cheater cord.

/ AC Electical Question #12  
Sorry to sound so terse.

Is what you are trying to say; "I want to keep some equipment running while I change the source supplies. How do I do that?"

If so, I don't know.

/ AC Electical Question #13  
<font color="blue"> I realize the point is moot because of the location of the breakers
but in theory, if both breakers where on the same leg, think it would have worked?
</font>

So you have this power strip that is already energized by a breaker on the left side of the main panel. And before you disconnect you want to power it by a breaker on the right side of the panel box by using a male plug end inserted into the power strip, correct? This would be a temp thing so that you could quickly make your change over.

Any way of moving breakers so that you would pick up power on the SAME side of the main panel box? In that instance it would still be 110 volts.

Maybe Inspector507 will chime in here with some expert advice on what you are needing to do to make it legit. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ AC Electical Question #14  
i guess i missed that one, but your description leaves a dandy picture in my head....hope you didn't get hurt, but how many stings did you get out of that trip?
heehaw

/ AC Electical Question #15  
Just because they are on the same phase does not mean it will not trip the breaker.
I have seen 2 circuits on the same phase trip a breaker if they are on the same exact wire for neutral..

I suggest you find a way to back up the info on the equipment just incase, if you ever do try this...

As others have stated I would not ever recommed you back feed in such a way. YOu could wind up with some serioius FIRE WORKS /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ AC Electical Question #16  
OK, since this is now a brain teaser just for fun and we ain't gonna really go do it...

Before we start this job, the equip. is running on grid AC. Batteries are fully charged and ready to kick in if needed.
Let's push a button on the inverter that tells it to swap to DC source. No problem. We're now running off of batteries (I hope someone checked the battery charge before we started this!).
With the equip. feeding from batteries....we should have at least 30 minutes to go to the breaker box and do some wire/breaker moving to make this transition work. Maybe there's even a way we can get around even having to do that?

OK, somebody else finish this story now....I'm getting myself confused. I thought of the ideal of swapping to DC....somebody else take it from here and provide the next step. It's past my bedtime.

/ AC Electical Question #17  
I thought of disconnecting the inverters from the AC power and using the battery power also, which would eliminate any phase problems, and started to write such an answer, but then I came right back to the backfeed. I just don't know what happens when you feed power from two different sources into two different ends of the same power strip. And, I don't want to experiment to find out... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ AC Electical Question
Sorry to have caused any one a head ache.

But the equipment is only AC powered, even when on batteries.
The inverter's output is only AC. So shutting down commercial
or the batteries, still leaves me with having to move an AC plug. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I thought there maybe a way around it but I don't see now. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Telecomm folks (and IT) are really picky and don't ever want to see the equipment powered down. There's the fear that it won't come back up.
Just imagine if TBN went down for a few hours, folks sure would be upset. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ AC Electical Question #19  
Is the equipment capable of dual power supplies? I am currently working on a project involving upgrading some Cisco switches in an office building. The new switches will have an AC and a DC supply. During normal operation, both supplies share the load. If the AC fails, the DC fed supply will carry the switch, and vice versa. The DC source is a battery backed system, similar to a UPS without the double conversion. Initially, the IT group wanted to install a UPS on each switch. After some investigation, we found this solution to be preferable to UPSs and their associated maintenance.