AC Electric Log Splitter Joy

/ AC Electric Log Splitter Joy #1  

KennK

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 3320
If this is too far off the chainsaw focus I apologize!! I wanted to share how awesome I think this little thing is!

I just purchased a Boss 5-ton 110 VAC Electric Log Splitter.

I bought this for several reasons:
-Trying to avoid maintaining gas engines.
-One-handed operation (huge!).
-Small, can be stored upright, tiny footprint.
-Limited use.
-Two-person lift capable.
-20.5" long, 10" diameter capacity.
-Quiet!
-My wife likes it!!!

I'm not a big wood burner. I have a Solo Stove Bonfire fire pit (not as big as the name might suggest) for occasional campfires. I cut up the random downed limb/tree on our 7 acres in the Wisconsin northwoods. I take the tiny branches to my town's recycling center, but they won't take logs bigger than 6" diameter. That's where this slick little log splitter comes in.

It is a bit slow per stroke, but I'm fine with that since I don't have to process a lot of logs.

I'm sure other brands are also excellent, but the Boss was the only one I saw that has one-handed operation. I probably would have bought the Earthquake splitter - a Wisconsin company from what I've read - but it required two hands to operate the hydraulic ram.

Boss: Push button to start the electric motor - it stays on until the button is pushed again. Use lever to start hydraulic ram.

Others: Hold motor button down with one hand while pushing the hydraulic ram activator with the other hand. They claim it's a safety feature.

Yeah, the motor is running the whole time, but it is relatively quiet (similar to my Dewalt table saw & miter saw).

Clearly the AC cord limits where I can operate the splitter. For many this will be unacceptable, but for me, I can move the logs to the splitter using my JD tractor. No issue.

Also, it is short, but for me that is good. Easy storage, plus with my old achey back I can sit on a stool and operate the splitter while my wife brings the logs over. Time wise it works out well. BTW, we swap roles after a time to be fair. She enjoys using the splitter too.

/ AC Electric Log Splitter Joy #2  
Glad to hear corded AC log splitter is working out well for the OP

I am still using the B&S I/C engine 25 ton Yard Machines (MTD) splitter, I bought over 20 years ago.

Engine maintenance has been one or two oil changes in a year.
For us it would not be practical at all to use AC corded splitter.

I use gasoline stabilizer regularly in all small gas engines.

IMG_5714.jpg IMG_5135.JPG

Last edited:
   / AC Electric Log Splitter Joy #3  
I have used this 20 ton 220volt Ramsplitter for the past 10 plus years. I have had do some welding repairs over the years but it is definitely worth the lack of noise, smell and gas.

Attachments

• split 2.jpg
    split 2.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 84
   / AC Electric Log Splitter Joy #4  
A good electric motor has a lot of torque and will operate with very little maintenance compared to the gasoline equivalent. The issues arise when they put on some cheap motor that claims to have a lot of HP, but isn't built to last very long.

It is important to watch the size and length of extension cords because you can quickly kill a good motor with an extension cord that is undersized or too long.

/ AC Electric Log Splitter Joy #5  
A good electric motor has a lot of torque and will operate with very little maintenance compared to the gasoline equivalent. The issues arise when they put on some cheap motor that claims to have a lot of HP, but isn't built to last very long.

It is important to watch the size and length of extension cords because you can quickly kill a good motor with an extension cord that is undersized or too long.
Why I went with a 220 motor. This unit can be wired 110 or 220