AC to DC stick welder conversion

/ AC to DC stick welder conversion #11  
They are using a 300amp bridge rectifier. Looks like they cost just over $20. to $50.
Yes it can be done, I'd be sure heat sink for diodes is sufficient, maybe put computer fan on it (heat destroys diodes).
Maybe check surplus electronic suppliers.

/ AC to DC stick welder conversion #12  
Should not be to difficult.... See graphic in post #4...

There is also a 400 amp version...

/ AC to DC stick welder conversion #13  
That would have been cool years ago. Its kind of cool now and makes it a whole level better machine. If it was a hobby and didnt care it would be ok but if I had to spend much to get this done would be hard pressed to get away from a new inverter. The buzzers are reliable and have seen some used hard, I been down the trail a while and have a hard time remembering any really burned up.

Last edited:
   / AC to DC stick welder conversion #14  
I must admit, that my Thunderbolt is an AC only device.

Also, I seldom run anything but 6013 and 7018.

Seems to work just fine for all my stick needs.

/ AC to DC stick welder conversion #15  

That's what I thought several years ago. I finally figured out that to get better and more consistent I needed finer currant control than on my Tombstone. I bought a EverLast PowerArc 200ST. Inverter 200 Amp DC welder. For me changing to DC made a huge difference that I had not anticipated. So changing to DC does make a difference.

gg

Last edited:
   / AC to DC stick welder conversion #16  
guess i lucked out, as my Miller thunderbolt is already a ac/dc machine. i actually thought all the thunderbolt line was.
My 30+ year old thunderbolt is AC/DC.
I too thought all Miller thunderbolts were AC/DC.

Last edited:
   / AC to DC stick welder conversion #17  

I did the same on the farm for 45 years before I had DC. I used 6011 and 6013. Never even tried 7018 until lately.

Last edited:
   / AC to DC stick welder conversion #18  
Lis. I kind of think its a shame someone didnt grab you by the short hairs to the welding store way earlier. I ran across a maintenance guy recently got put out of a job by some kid with whiz tig skills. Shame is he got a pipefitter bro in law, ran him thru my booth and they guy has the talent and would have been a natural with a stinger. A lot of wasted career due to lack of welding skills.
Something that sticks out like the sore thumb is good cut weld skills and anyone going in to mechanical, engineering, the trades doesnt stop long enough to learn a little weld is hampering themselves and a welder can simply do jobs the non cant and follow that up the chain to include some more sophisticated work and its a huge difference between men. Especially trade guys. I know a couple carpenters aint pounded a nail on a job in a long time. Shield Arc being one of them.

/ AC to DC stick welder conversion #20  
They do and I used them a lot but they are a little loose on vertical and have to use a little weave to get them to hang in there and a bit tougher to make a flat bead. It takes a bit more skill than DC. The first pic is AC, second is DC and they could be improved some with a little practice. I am far from a daily driver anymore and its real work to hang with it till I weld a little for a week or so.
7018AC vert.JPG
7018 vert 2p.JPG

Last edited: