AC unit build

/ AC unit build #1  

Loadstar

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 640
Came across a two ton and a three ton Janitrol condensing unit. Conveniently my neighbor needs a two ton unit and the three ton may be shelved for a future pool heating project. As for the two ton it looks rough but in the course of its life was used a few times a year for maybe five years then it set. Most of the upgrades are simple things a well rounded homeowner can do but of course do not attempt anything you see here. You will be shocked, burned, blinded, frostbitten., and out a bunch of money.
These units are older but of just the right vintage. Not grossly inefficient, but built right before quality was beginning to be sacrificed in the name of efficiency. What I like about them is the compressor is in its own cabinet along with the electric. This design is outstanding for components and the person working on them.

First day I removed the top and hosed it all out. Being its on my trailer there is no electric or refrigerant. Next I addressed the condenser fin damage from close mowing and weed eater abuse. It cleaned up well but two large spots remain from a mower deck beating. Fin combing is extremely frustrating and time consuming for most but I have done a lot of insurance repairs from hail on large equipment so this was done before my beer was empty. Today I stopped in the parts store and ordered a new dual capacitor (American made) and an oversized contactor. Unfortunately I have yet to find an American made definite purpose contactor. These are not a typical unpredictable failure point when checked yearly or every other. As far as capacitors go I have to order what the local guys have. I would prefer to give Amrad a try but their regular capacitors are not sold locally except for the Turbo 200. I try test what my parts houses offer. Once I was home I stripped the unit down more for paint and cleaning. Here is how it's looking.

Attachments

• image-3971486016.jpg
    image-3971486016.jpg
    604 KB · Views: 152
   / AC unit build
In this picture you can see how the coil and fan are separated by a wall from the compressor and electrical components.

Attachments

• image-3228344356.jpg
    image-3228344356.jpg
    616.5 KB · Views: 146
   / AC unit build
Here are some photos of common failure points merely due to no attention to detail I found during disassembly. Heavily corroded capacitor and electrical cabinet from mouse nest and decaying electrocuted mice. If you look close at the capacitor it's wet from oil seeping out from the corrosion.

The wire shots are one of mouse damage to low voltage wire and one ignorantly cobbled together low voltage wire. These would lead to a contractor hammering until welding, loss of low voltage, or it may let the smoke out of the transformer inside.

All of this could be prevented by simply putting plugs in open knockout holes and a 2 screw connector or something similar on the low voltage.

Attachments

• image-344632207.jpg
    image-344632207.jpg
    383.3 KB · Views: 116
  • image-191615541.jpg
    image-191615541.jpg
    371.1 KB · Views: 110
  • image-205561598.jpg
    image-205561598.jpg
    423.2 KB · Views: 119
  • image-365135530.jpg
    image-365135530.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 108
   / AC unit build
Blazed in some ports for high and low pressure safety switches.

Attachments

• image-3267877502.jpg
    image-3267877502.jpg
    362.2 KB · Views: 117
   / AC unit build
Also laid out electrical and started spraying some primer.

Attachments

• image-1230555019.jpg
    image-1230555019.jpg
    515.6 KB · Views: 112
   / AC unit build #6  
R20? or the new R410 stuff? Harder to find the R20 stuff anymore, but not too bad yet. Will get worse with time, of course. Nice work. Keep us posted.

/ AC unit build
R20? or the new R410 stuff? Harder to find the R20 stuff anymore, but not too bad yet. Will get worse with time, of course. Nice work. Keep us posted.
It's r22. Not hard to find it just getting more costly.

/ AC unit build #8  
Right. I forget these things that I only rarely deal with...