Acceptable Stress in final welds for mild steel

/ Acceptable Stress in final welds for mild steel #21  
Orthogonal weld joints. :duh: :ashamed:...

What the heck is an orthogonal weld joint?:anyone: I've heard a lot of welding terms over the years (most can't be repeated on here) but orthogonal's a new one to me. Shield Arc probably knows and has been holding out on me. ;)

/ Acceptable Stress in final welds for mild steel #22  

What the heck is an orthogonal weld joint?:anyone: I've heard a lot of welding terms over the years (most can't be repeated on here) but orthogonal's a new one to me. Shield Arc probably knows and has been holding out on me. ;)

That's one of those $2 words that math and physics people use :D

adjective
Definition of ORTHOGONAL
1a : intersecting or lying at right angles
b: having perpendicular slopes or tangents at the point of intersection <orthogonal curves>

2: having a sum of products or an integral that is zero or sometimes one under specified conditions: as
a: of real-valued functions : having the integral of the product of each pair of functions over a specific interval equal to zero
b: of vectors : having the scalar product equal to zero
c: of a square matrix : having the sum of products of corresponding elements in any two rows or any two columns equal to one if the rows or columns are the same and equal to zero otherwise : having a transpose with which the product equals the identity matrix

3: of a linear transformation : having a matrix that is orthogonal : preserving length and distance

4: composed of mutually orthogonal elements <an orthogonal basis of a vector space>

5: statistically independent

/ Acceptable Stress in final welds for mild steel #23  

What's wrong with orthogonal weld joints????

/ Acceptable Stress in final welds for mild steel #24  
orthogonal weld pics please! :D

/ Acceptable Stress in final welds for mild steel #25  
orthogonal weld pics please! :D

Orthogonal isn't the hard part, a difficult weld would be "normal" to the surface.

The Orthogonal lines are just at right angles and are drawn as an "x" in this pic - we all can do that :)

The Normal vector leaves perpendicular to the surface - that weld I can't make :laughing:

image.jpg

/ Acceptable Stress in final welds for mild steel #26  
Orthogonal isn't the hard part, a difficult weld would be "normal" to the surface.

The Orthogonal lines are just at right angles and are drawn as an "x" in this pic - we all can do that :)

The Normal vector leaves perpendicular to the surface - that weld I can't make :laughing:

View attachment 381322
Oh I understand the term... just not with regard to welding. Are we talking about a pattern or stroke when welding? Like a J or curly C's or what?

/ Acceptable Stress in final welds for mild steel #27  
I never said there was anything wrong with it. Not sure how you do one on something like pipe. :confused3: I'd usually just say make a sound weld. Here's one for the wordsmith's.... stultiloquence.

/ Acceptable Stress in final welds for mild steel #28  
Good posts, thanks for the lesson!

When i don't understand something simple like what is a 'welding tip' or 'suscious mindset', i found i can use my mouse to highlight it then 'right' click and select Search Google for "suscios mindset" and that pops up a tab with information that most find will get them on their way.

BTW i really did look up suscious because PhysAssist has a pretty good vocabulary and it was pretty early with out coffee.

I also type (read hunt n peck) on a tablet which doesn't let me spell check and even for a nightowl like me, 0300 is pretty early or late....

Sorry for the typoes :-X

/ Acceptable Stress in final welds for mild steel #29  
Go with oxy/propane - it's cheaper to run and saves you from having to buy an acetylene tank :)

You can cut and heat with it, just not weld (most people generally prefer other types of welding anyway)

...And quit being "torch challenged" and go get one! :D

Dave,

This may be a stoopid newb question, but how do MAP gas torches rate vs oxypropane?

What extra equipment does oxypropane require?

I have a MAP/propane torch, but if there is a really huge difference in effect, and it isn't too much more complicated or expensive to learn to use, I for one would certainly buy into an oxypropane rig...

Thanks,
Thomas

/ Acceptable Stress in final welds for mild steel #30  
I never said there was anything wrong with it. Not sure how you do one on something like pipe. :confused3: I'd usually just say make a sound weld. Here's one for the wordsmith's.... stultiloquence.

Hi AW,

With much respect, please, we's still trying understand anything beyond point one of Dave's post....

And who's post are you calling silly?

:)

Thomas