Acceptable white smoking

/ Acceptable white smoking #1  

Frankdozer

Silver Member
Tractor
1967 Case 580CK Backhoe / Loader
My 1984 John Deere 455D Turbo Track Loader runs like new. It has around 7400 hours on it. I put the key in the ignition and just touch the start button and it starts right up. When it starts up it lets out a decent size puff of white smoke, then no more smoke thru idle. If I go from idle quickly to around 2100 RPM it lets out another puff of white smoke. Under load it white smokes enough to notice. No oil in coolant, no coolant in oil. It's not using engine oil and has plenty of power. The dozer sat for a number of years before I purchased it about a month ago. Everything operates as it should. Should I ingore it, worry about it or is it a sign of old age. Doesn't effect operation, just a little smelly. Thanks, Frank

/ Acceptable white smoking #2  
G'day at those hours I would say the injectors prob need doing more than likely they have not been touched. That would be a starting point for me anyway

Jon

/ Acceptable white smoking #3  
White smoke is caused by cold cylinder walls and moisture. It's normal on startup and until warmed up. It is made worse by low compression. It can also be water from a cracked cylinder wall or bad head gasket, but not in your case if you have no other problems.

You might make sure you don't have water in the fuel, but I doubt if that's it because it usually will ruin an injector.

Bad injectors cause black smoke if they are not atomizing correctly.

/ Acceptable white smoking #4  
Do a quick check of your engine temp first!!! To replace a faulty thermostat is far cheaper then the injectors. When cold many engines will give the white smoke and if the engine continues to run then the cylinders will glaze and you will have to tear it down.

So first check your engine temp!!!!

/ Acceptable white smoking #5  
Check the glow plugs to make sure they are working. They should get rid of most of the moisture in the cold engine before startup.

You could have a leaking head gasket that is letting coolant into a cylinder. After it runs a while it heats up, that and the compression would keep the coolant out after a few minutes running. It would not take much coolant in the cylinder and you may not notice the level being low in the radiator for a while if the leak is not bad.

Just some ideas, good luck

/ Acceptable white smoking #6  
Many years ago I had a 450 that started smoking and gradually got worse. Do yu have any white smoke coming out of the breather pipe?

I wound up doing an inframe rebuild with new liners kits, not a difficult engine to work on.

/ Acceptable white smoking #7  
I run an IH 1066 (about 130 hp) and white smoke at startup is normal and common. It had a complete out of frame overhaul about 100 hrs ago, it smoked before and has smoked since. I would not lose any sleep over white smoke.

/ Acceptable white smoking
OK...........My mistake, It's not white smoke...........It's light, light blueish-white smoke.............Thanks, Frank

/ Acceptable white smoking
Bad Fuel?.................

/ Acceptable white smoking #10  
OK...........My mistake, It's not white smoke...........It's light, light blueish-white smoke.............Thanks, Frank

That's a little blow-by. At 7400 hours, I suppose it is not unexpected. I'd run it until it gets worse...a lot worse.