Acetylene regulator issues

/ Acetylene regulator issues #11  
I've not had any trouble with my cheap regulators.

To avoid damaging ANY regulator you need to close the tank valve, bleed the pressure off, then back the regulator off after use. Always open the tank valve very slow sos not to blast the regulator with high pressure. Then set the regulated pressure.

I always follow the correct procedure for my oxy acetylene regulators.

Not so much on my mig regulator but I do open the bottle valve very slowly on it.

I read on another forum that you can buy kits for regulators for not much money and rebuild them yourself. If you have brand name regulators this might be an option.

/ Acetylene regulator issues #12  
I've not had any trouble with my cheap regulators.

To avoid damaging ANY regulator you need to close the tank valve, bleed the pressure off, then back the regulator off after use. Always open the tank valve very slow sos not to blast the regulator with high pressure. Then set the regulated pressure.

I always follow the correct procedure for my oxy acetylene regulators.

Not so much on my mig regulator but I do open the bottle valve very slowly on it.

I read on another forum that you can buy kits for regulators for not much money and rebuild them yourself. If you have brand name regulators this might be an option.
The problem I initially had was tightening the nut that holds the orffice in the tank, the c, Eclip, or split washer (forgot what it had) came out of the channel in the orffice causing the regulator to fall off. Even if it would have held, you accidentally pull on your oxy acetyelene hoses to hard I feel it would have let go I can only think of the mess it would have caused if I was cutting or welding with it. Totally unacceptable and dangerous in IMHO.

/ Acetylene regulator issues #13  
I bought several sets of good regulators 40 years ago. All dual stage type, they cost a fair amount more than single stage, but I used them daily for hours at both high and low pressure and they were very stable.

All of these, the Smiths, Victor, NCG, are equally good. The Victors and NCG are works of art in massive brass.

Never a problem. I sent them to a rebuilder about 8 years ago just because it seemed like a good idea. He said they didn't really need anything but he put in new parts anyway for a nominal fee.

So in my opinion good gauges are worth the money.
Same for good hoses. I also use a smaller diameter "whip" for the last ten feet of hose so I don't have to fight with heavy hose when doing delicate work.

BTW, for doing delicate brazing I use an old style "radiator tip". I recently found a new old one on Ebay to replace the tip I made up years ago. Both factory & homemade tipw work the same, so it is easy to make up your own.
rScotty

Attachments

• radiator tip_closeup.JPG
    radiator tip_closeup.JPG
    667.2 KB · Views: 97
   / Acetylene regulator issues #14  
I have a very old set (Probably 60's) large and made of all brass, and probably produced here in the states. The oxygen reg started leaking a while back, and I couldn't find anyone local to rebuild it. I'm sure the diaphragm had dry rotted.
So I went on line a bought one the the smaller cheaper brands, as I believe victor is even made in china these days

/ Acetylene regulator issues #15  
I have a very old set (Probably 60's) large and made of all brass, and probably produced here in the states. The oxygen reg started leaking a while back, and I couldn't find anyone local to rebuild it. I'm sure the diaphragm had dry rotted.
So I went on line a bought one the the smaller cheaper brands, as I believe victor is even made in china these days

In 2014 I went to my local welding shop and asked the old guy behind the counter who he recommended for rebuilding regulators.
Edit: These are old Victor dual stage type.

He said they always liked to send regulators to a guy in Wyoming when they could. The guy didn't have a retail store; he just worked in his shop. He also cost a little more and didn't give estimates. That all sounded real good to me, so off they went UPS.

They came back in a couple of weeks looking and working better than new. BTW, tanks and regulators live outside and always have, but I do keep them covered against moisture and sunlight. For protection, each regulator has an old winter jacket tied over it with binder twine and an old raincoat covers all.
rScotty

Last edited:
   / Acetylene regulator issues #16  
It appear's that various people have varied experience with regulators. I had a set Victor regulators rebuilt a few months ago for less than $60. There are no parts available for knock-off regulators so I see no reason to buy them unless it's for once and done. If it's a matter of money used quility brands beat new low end junk any day.

/ Acetylene regulator issues #17  
Something you need to remember is to let a acetylene tank sit a few hours if it has been laying down or you risk the chance of the Portland cement not being settled and messing up the reg. Maybe that the dust you mentioned when you took the reg apart

/ Acetylene regulator issues
Something you need to remember is to let a acetylene tank sit a few hours if it has been laying down or you risk the chance of the Portland cement not being settled and messing up the reg. Maybe that the dust you mentioned when you took the reg apart
Thanks I was careful about that. Stood them up and left them alone until my heavy equipment mechanic buddy came over and showed me how to use them. That dude is a wizard, at least on the street smarts level but also a lot on the formal level.

The dust was like bluish white corrosion dust. I'll just be getting new ones. Gonna continue finding excuses to "steer my career" in this direction.

/ Acetylene regulator issues #19  
Hey everyone,

So recently I got a used oxy acetylene kit to fix an issue on my backhoe. Actually that was just the final excuse but it's a toy I've wanted for quite a while. It's a cool toy!

So the broken doohicky saga is resolved for now on the hoe, but towards the end of it my acetylene regulator started acting up. First it wouldn't allow pressure to pass through even though there was plenty of gas in the tank. I took it apart and cleaned it. Lotsa corrosion dust and a fine screen at the inlet that was gummed up.

Put it back together and now it let's gas through just fine, but only nominally regulates the pressure while the torch is on. If I turn the flow to the torch off the pressure starts rising rapidly in the hose to above 15psi which has me scampering across the work area to turn off the cylinder knob and then open the torch to relieve the pressure in the hose. Almost comical except for the whole blowing up part.

So is this common? Can I fix it? Did I ruin it? This is a cheap Chinese thing, not a fancy Víctor or anything and it had obviously been sitting around for a while. Also my oxygen regulator "chatters" and sorta squeaks periodically. Is that worth worrying about?

Alternately I'm going back to the states for a visit next week, should I just buy a new set? Are the cheap ones for $30 on amazon okay or should I buy "real" ones? Víctor costs close to $200 for a set of regulators. Lincoln electric has a whole set of tips and hoses for that much. Is that Lincoln stuff good? Last I looked they do arc welding stuff.

Thanks!

Interesting thing about Lincoln Electric. I just bought one of those sets to replace a 40+ year old Harris set that I originally purchased at Montgomery Ward. My cutting torch had somehow been eaten through on the lines that carry the gas to the cutting tip. Since I couldn't buy just another cutting torch, I had to get a set. Went to Lowes and got a Lincoln Electric for $200. Got it home and opened it up. Guess who's name is on every component in there? HARRIS. Oh well, the last one lasted over 40 years so maybe this one will too.

/ Acetylene regulator issues #20  
I only open the cylinder knob like 1/2 to 1 turn.

Okay, one vote for buying the good equipment, thanks. I am paying attention.
1000 years ago when I took metal shop in school, they told us to always open the valves all the way because running gas through a partially opened valve can/ will destroy it. Don't know for sure if it's right or wrong, but I always open the valves all the way because of being taught that rule.