Acetylene replacement

/ Acetylene replacement #1  

catskinner

Silver Member
Tractor
AC 170
I'm looking to set up torch set to cut and heat up fasteners. What works better propane or propylene?

/ Acetylene replacement #2  
Not sure of the temperatures of each one but regardless I'd go with propane. It's easy to get, relatively cheap and the tanks, 20 lb, are easy to transport and you don't need a contract to get a cylinder.....Mike

/ Acetylene replacement #3  
Propylene or MAPP gas as it is branded is not much better than propane. I havent used propylene in over 25 years and cant remember if you can gas weld with it or not but for sure you cant with propane. You need the same type of tips to use either gas. Propane you can get in lots of places and dont need to find a welding supply open on weekends if you run out, or deal with the LWS to rent the bottle in the beginning. Once you buy your tips you are finished with the high priced LWS. I dont know the costs differences between the two, but I would suspect that propane is a cheaper but the convenience of it makes all the difference. I have been thinking of getting a propane tip for my torch just in case I run out of acetylene. I have a spare O2 bottle but only one acetylene. I usually have propane for my BBQ pits available and if not, its readily available 7 days a week at several stores in my area.

/ Acetylene replacement
Thanks for the info, looks like I'm going to go propane, just hate buying new stuff when I already had new on hand. Looks like I'll have to learn a new technique also.

/ Acetylene replacement #5  
Thanks for the info, looks like I'm going to go propane, just hate buying new stuff when I already had new on hand. Looks like I'll have to learn a new technique also.

Please Do Not Forget that Natural Gas also works with the Propane Tips. (if Natural Gas is already piped in for heating, etc... Propane for portability)
The Acetylene Regulator fits right on to the Propane Bottles.
Only new stuff needed are Tips ($15) and possibly new T grade gas hoses (really only needed if gas pressure is left on all the time - propane very slowly leaches through some rubber hoses).
The new technique will be quickly become second nature.

/ Acetylene replacement #6  
Propane really is the best way. Propylene is great too but more money and not much different than propane. The welding supply stores promote anything but propane due to it's wide distribution channel. Everyone has it. They like something that you have to get from them. I run all of the fuel gas types on a regular basis and like them all but for cutting and heating at home, Propane is the best value. Very safe too compared to acetylene. On windy days you can light both gases at the same time but becareful not to exceed 1/4 turn each to light. It actually puts out more BTU's than Acetylene.

/ Acetylene replacement #7  
Here is a good video.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2amO0T3vkQ&feature=related]Propane & Oxygen Torch Cutting Instructional Video - YouTube[/ame]

/ Acetylene replacement #8  
Thanks Shield Arc,

Like the man said, "... doesn't cover everything...", but it gives a good and easy to understand tutorial of the rudimentary workings.

:thumbsup: