Acme ignition coil

/ Acme ignition coil #1  

Walter 2022

Tractor
BCS715
Hi Just restored a BCS 715 engine (Acme) and have it running off a 12v car battery and coil - engine sounds sweet and starts on second pull.
However I would like to keep it origional and replace the faulty ignition coil. These are expensive to replace from dealers Approx £150 others i've tried on ebay seem to be scammers as i've chased paypal for two orders to be refunded. Any help would be appreciated or its make a battery carrier :-(

Cheers

/ Acme ignition coil #2  
I don't know what an Acme is nor what an original coil looked like but you might consider a Triumph motorcycle ignition coil. They're smaller than an automotive coil. (Just a thought.)

/ Acme ignition coil #3  
Welcome to TBN. Acme is their Italian OEM engine. I've never had to get a coil for one though. Earthtools says they have used Acme parts too. They were able to get us some carb parts, enough to save the day anyways. People used to bake the Lawnboy ignition modules to bring life back into them, forget why- but there is lots of info on the web should you wish to try it with your old one. If you get her all prettied up, post a pic. ACME ENGINE PARTS: Parts for Acme Motori - Earth Tools

/ Acme ignition coil #4  
Hello Walter,

Have you tried checking the Asvarta website? They sell lots of parts of these older Italian engines. Pretty much all the brands that are now Kholer, like Lombardini, Slanzi, Ruggerini, Acme and several others.

Here is the link for the parts they have for the Acme engines: https://www.asvarta.com/es/recambios-lombardini/acme-motori

And the link for the coil, not sure if it's your model though: https://www.asvarta.com/es/bobina-encendido-acme-motori-a180.html

They are located in Spain. I've bought a gasket kit for an old Slanzi 2 cylinder engine from them before. Not a single issue and fast shipping too.

/ Acme ignition coil
Thanks for the help gents

Cant get a reasonable priced origional coil no doubt i'll eventually find one one but she's running sweet of a lead acid battery 6 v or 12v

Purchased a small coil for a motorcycle and a 12v to 6v converter so I can use either battery. Machine will only be used probs twice a year so ploughing we shall go.

Walter

/ Acme ignition coil
Thanks for the help gents

Cant get a reasonable priced origional coil no doubt i'll eventually find one one but she's running sweet of a lead acid battery 6 v or 12v

Purchased a small coil for a motorcycle and a 12v to 6v converter so I can use either battery. Machine will only be used probs twice a year so ploughing we shall go.

Walter
Oh forgot to say both items were £13 total on ebay.

/ Acme ignition coil #7  
I don't know what an Acme is nor what an original coil looked like but you might consider a Triumph motorcycle ignition coil. They're smaller than an automotive coil. (Just a thought.)
For some reason images of Wiley Coyote popped into my head... :ROFLMAO:

/ Acme ignition coil #8  
Welcome to TBN. Acme is their Italian OEM engine. I've never had to get a coil for one though. Earthtools says they have used Acme parts too. They were able to get us some carb parts, enough to save the day anyways. People used to bake the Lawnboy ignition modules to bring life back into them, forget why- but there is lots of info on the web should you wish to try it with your old one. If you get her all prettied up, post a pic. ACME ENGINE PARTS: Parts for Acme Motori - Earth Tools
If you have the coil and it's just bad you can try baking it. I have done this maybe a dozen times to bad magnetos on old engines. The coils, whether a magneto coil or a standard ignition coil, can get moisture inside the coil. This can cause the coil to short out inside due to the high voltage. Baking in a 200 degree oven for several hours can dry the coil out and restore the original performance. What I did was to bake the coil for a couple hours at 200 degrees, then turn the oven off and let the coil stay in the oven overnight. It has worked for me many times.
Eric

/ Acme ignition coil #9  
If you have the coil and it's just bad you can try baking it. I have done this maybe a dozen times to bad magnetos on old engines. The coils, whether a magneto coil or a standard ignition coil, can get moisture inside the coil. This can cause the coil to short out inside due to the high voltage. Baking in a 200 degree oven for several hours can dry the coil out and restore the original performance. What I did was to bake the coil for a couple hours at 200 degrees, then turn the oven off and let the coil stay in the oven overnight. It has worked for me many times.
Eric
I take the wife was out of town?😆

/ Acme ignition coil #10  
I take the wife was out of town?😆
I cleaned the coils first. They didn't stink of burning oil. And, I'm the cook in my house, so would not put stuff in the oven that could stink up the kitchen or something baked in the oven.
Eric