acreage

/ acreage
The map I posted is the second map that the surveyors provided.

The first showed 118 feet along the road, although actual measurements showed 125 feet. And the line that is currently 1017 feet, was 1019 feet on the first map they sent.

I told him there was a problem with it, and he redid it on the computer, and sent the new map.

He said the 1,017 foot side got shorter because the 125 foot side got longer, but that marker isn't the one that was off on the map...........it was the pin on the other end of the frontage.

He also told me that the neighbors markers on the long side is 1,053 feet, and the other neighbors marker is at 1,021 feet.

They've got me thoroughly confused.

/ acreage
And the worst part for now is that I gotta go to work, and won't be back til Friday.

And just as this is getting interesting.

/ acreage #23  
Well, it has been a terribly long time since Surveying 101 at good ol' Paul Smith's (we're talking 1977 here, and I've not done any surveying since so take this all with a grain of salt), so I just had to play with this a bit. Immediately struck me as solvable with latitude and departure. I've no doubt that the surveyors calculations are going to be correct, so this was really just an exercise in nostalgia, a "wow, I still can figure it out" kind of thing, especially since they likely used more accurate measurement values in arriving at their answers. I say that because I come up with a slight closure error and roughly 1/10000th acre difference, which is likely just rounding either on the bearings or somewhere else. Can't quite figure out why I am coming up with negative areas though... missing something somewhere, so if anyone is familiar with latitudes and departures and can point out my error I'd appreciate it.

At any rate, calcs are in the attached pdf and agree closely with the surveyor's values (1.9781 vs 1.9782 acres). As a previous poster stated, the survey is going to ***** anything written in the deed in terms of area, especially if the boundaries are accurately stated. Areas can be miscalculated, misstated, or fudged, but boundary points are generally going to stay put or at least be locatable.

Hey, it was fun while it lasted ;)

Gully

edit: in case anyone was wondering, I found a footnote on the negative areas. It just has to do with starting point, which is kinda what I thought. The actual footnote is "Drawing the line through the western most point is done for convenience so that areas come out as positive quantities. In theory, the meridian line can be placed anywhere." The document I referenced can be found at http://www.ferris.edu/faculty/burtchr/sure110/notes/Traverse_adjustment_text.pdfhttp://www.ferris.edu/faculty/burtchr/sure110/notes/Traverse_adjustment_text.pdf

Attachments

• lats_deps.pdf
    3.9 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
   / acreage
Well, it has been a terribly long time since Surveying 101 at good ol' Paul Smith's (we're talking 1977 here, and I've not done any surveying since so take this all with a grain of salt), so I just had to play with this a bit. Immediately struck me as solvable with latitude and departure. I've no doubt that the surveyors calculations are going to be correct, so this was really just an exercise in nostalgia, a "wow, I still can figure it out" kind of thing, especially since they likely used more accurate measurement values in arriving at their answers. I say that because I come up with a slight closure error and roughly 1/1000th acre difference, which is likely just rounding either on the bearings or somewhere else. Can't quite figure out why I am coming up with negative areas though... missing something somewhere, so if anyone is familiar with latitudes and departures and can point out my error I'd appreciate it.

At any rate, calcs are in the attached pdf and agree closely with the surveyor's values (1.9781 vs 1.9782 acres). As a previous poster stated, the survey is going to ***** anything written in the deed in terms of area, especially if the boundaries are accurately stated. Areas can be miscalculated, misstated, or fudged, but boundary points are generally going to stay put or at least be locatable.

Hey, it was fun while it lasted ;)

Gully
Thanks for posting. It is appreciated.

When I talked to the surveyor in person, last week.........he mentioned closure error.

/ acreage #25  
Just got home, started to look at this and saw GullyF's post. No idea how you did that or what the words even mean, but I've never taken surveying. I was going to use cosine of included angle to get diagonal, then use diagonal to get area of two triangles. Glad you provided the answer.

/ acreage #27  
If the surveyor has it figured out and the adjoining land owners agree your about done. BUT make sure everyone is in agreement. My dad bought 20 acres more or less, when he went to sell it, it surveyed out to 30 acres.
Just was watching Swamp Loggers and they had to agree on property lines. I had thought it was the first one to get a deed registered with metes and bounds but apparently in some sections of the country even that is up to dispute at a later time.