Add a "wing plow"...need ideas

/ Add a "wing plow"...need ideas #1  

rfc143

Silver Member
Tractor
kubota 5240
A search brought up nada. Have a 72" plow on the FEL. 1500' steep drive; banks getting too high; drive getting too narrow. Want to build some kind of add on blade that I can hook on/chain onto the plow, sticking out to the side 4-5 feet or so to clip off the banks pushing them further into the woods. Anyone ever done this? Photos? ideas?

/ Add a "wing plow"...need ideas #2  
Following... I’ve been looking for a similar solution but my problem is that I’m a annoyed by the amount of seepage out the sides of my 60” on my long, wide driveway. Maybe something like this Blizzard 216 - Kubota BX23 with Front Blade and Wing Plow - YouTube or in the image below would work for you? IMG_1942.JPG

/ Add a "wing plow"...need ideas #3  
Look at the big cat grader wings then scale one down to your size!--Be sure to make it like a tank, or you will tear it off and maybe wreck your tractor in the process.--The snow will push you away from the banks, turn you sideways, etc.!---I drove the big cats for 30 some years and know just how nasty wings can be!--Light cuts work the best.--also a LOT of speed is the key factor when using a wing to help get the snow over the bank. thanks; sonny580

/ Add a "wing plow"...need ideas
Thanks for the input. I'm certainly not contemplating anything near the size or scale of a highway grade device. Currently my banks are perhaps 4' high. I'm thinking of slicing a piece of 6" or 8" well casing in half lengthwise, chaining it in front of the plow blade (open side forward), forming a "scoop" that would slice off perhaps 6-8" of snow at a time, and schussing it behind the current bank. Multiple passes; small bites.
I don't currently have grab hooks welded to my plow at the ends, but could put some on and pick the auxiliary "blade" up pretty easily. I'd end for end it if I wanted to work on the other side.

/ Add a "wing plow"...need ideas #5  
Not the answer you're looking for (apologies) but a good solution that will likely cost no more (possibly less) is simply get a snowblower for the tractor. When I moved here and got my tractor I got a rear blade to clear the snow, worked fine but then eventually I ran into the same problems as you had with the huge amount of snow my banks got too big. Had to push them back with the loader to make room for more snow. Had to do that a few times thru the winter. That got old. So I finally got a blower - found an old unit in decent shape, cost me $600. I painted it, replaced a couple bearings. I no longer have big snow banks.

You'd have the best of both worlds I think - blade on the front (I'm thinking of doing that myself) and a blower on the back. Blade is great for fast clearing of snow, particularly if it's not a lot and blower is great for big dumpings/cutting those banks back. Around here when the road snow banks get too big to wing back they use a snow blower as well! :)

I bet you'll be way happier in the long run, I know I am since I got the blower.

E.

/ Add a "wing plow"...need ideas #6  
For starters;your plow is a little small for a L5240.I have a 8ft.on a L4240;you have similar weight and more power.Adding 4-5' to the front plow "may" be too much.
I have thought of doing something similar,maybe adding a removable two foot section to one side for cutting back banks;not a true wing to the side of the tractor.
Need to be careful here because it's a lot of side torque and will push your tractor side ways.
Second thought;4' add may be o.k since you are starting with a 6' plow.
I am going to work on something similar this summer.

/ Add a "wing plow"...need ideas #7  
On a front blade, the turning forces have a lot to do with the angle of the blade. The more the blade is angled, the more force is applied to one side of the center line. And, the more it tries to turn the machine.

On a side blade, all the forces are applied to one side of the center line. The only resistance to turning forces will be the weight of the machine, and the friction of the tires to the ground. Since there is less friction on snow covered ground, it won't take much to create a lot of turning force on a lighter machine.

Adding length on to the front blade will provide a better result. Make some wings, and do some testing.

I can push a 72" plow on my little GC2310. You don't know what your equipment can do on your ground, until you try it.

/ Add a "wing plow"...need ideas #8  
Would an offset rear blade work for you? You can swing it out to the left or right.

/ Add a "wing plow"...need ideas #9  
Would an offset rear blade work for you? You can swing it out to the left or right.

I was thinking the same thing. Just get a really wide back blade and swing it to the side. Shown here is mine pushing dirt and it does just fine.

DSCN1915.JPG

/ Add a "wing plow"...need ideas #10  
You need a plow on a truck and go much faster to sling the snow back! I'm guessing you will just have to push the snow back with the loader or the blade on the loader. I like the idea of a wing if you could make it high enough and have the power and weight to push it back.