Add another Challenger to the TBN inventory

/ Add another Challenger to the TBN inventory
Looks very nice ! How many hours on it ?

More than I wanted….9,xxx
But it got a new CVT transmission in November 2023 (still has warranty) and had engine rebuilt about a year ago.
Also had new brakes installed when CVT was done.

I looked at probably 100’s of tractors and settled on this one because it was fairly clean CVT and sold from a dealership I do a lot of biz with. Also, had the 3 major systems rebuilt.
Brake jobs on these are like $8,000. CVT is $25,000 and a rebuilt 8.4L Sisu was $30,000.

There were several others in the same price range and similar hours with no rebuilds, so I’d rather have one with the rebuilds than without.

It should be a real easy life with me. Maybe 150Hrs per year pulling a baler.

Farming is just gambling. This tractor is a gamble (or a calculated risk). Most times you win, sometimes you get the excrement sandwich.

I’ll know soon.

/ Add another Challenger to the TBN inventory #22  
Well one things for sure, we aren't going backwards on prices and the value of the dollar keeps shrinking every month. The way tractors are appreciating in value, it's not a bad deal.
That's why I bought this one a few weeks ago,

Resized-20240220-135152-S.jpg

I had to drive to Tn. to get it,

Resized-20240220-135206-S.jpg

but it was a great price, for a tractor that's in great shape, that had an easy life, haying.

It's exactly what I was looking for (brand/model/options) and I have plenty of work lined up for it, so it's going to be a money maker!

SR

/ Add another Challenger to the TBN inventory #23  
Yeah production of Challenger Tractors stopped in like 2021. I think the tracked combines may have gone on a few more years?
According to AGCO website they are still building MT700 and MT800 seriestracked Challengers. I believe some parts are similar to the Fendt tracked tractors but not sure.

According to AGCO website they are still building MT700 and MT800 seriestracked Challengers. I believe some parts are similar to the Fendt tracked tractors but not sure.
Wouldn’t surprise me.
Half of both my Challengers are Fendt (Transmission, rear axle & braking system).

Still surprised both the AGCO and Challenger production lines were dropped.
I think it was a move to make Massey Ferguson the default non-Fendt choice.
They were basically all the same, rolling off the same French assembly line.

My MT655E was made in Minnesota, USA. (y)

/ Add another Challenger to the TBN inventory #25  
I Did not know that AGCO stopped Challenger production in Jackson, MN and switched to only Fendt slime green tracked vehicles made at that facility.

Guess will see how putting all your eggs in one basket works for them.

Last edited:
   / Add another Challenger to the TBN inventory #26  
I Did not know that AGCO stopped Challenger production in Jackson, MN and switched to only Fendt slime green tracked vehicles made at that facility.

Aren't you forgetting about Massey and Valtra?

SR

/ Add another Challenger to the TBN inventory #27  
Nice ! Is that a front anti-roll bar mechanism on the links to the front axle ? First I've ever seen this, if true, and still wonder why more tractors aren't so equipped...

/ Add another Challenger to the TBN inventory #28  
That's an absolute beast, I hope you get many years out of her.

/ Add another Challenger to the TBN inventory #29  
Aren't you forgetting about Massey and Valtra?

SR
SR
Per the article I read the Jackson facility is only building Fendt tracked tractors and have stopped building wheeled tractors.

The USA has really changed, hasn’t it? I remember when USA brands were produced in Europe. Now we produce European brands in the USA. Technically, Fendt is an American brand, but we all know the Fendt CVT/final drive system is German technology and their MAN/Deutz engines are German, too.

AGCO simply bought the best tractor company in the world which happens to be from Germany.

Still have Massey Ferguson.

The ”slime green” belongs to Deutz. Fendt is a darker green.

I’m not thrilled about the AG world being overrun by Fendt, either. At least they’re American owned. It does seem like AGCO wants to push Fendt really hard on us.

I have been seeing Fendt Large square balers lately, too.

I’m more than happy to live off the discarded Minnesota or Georgia-built Challengers & AGCO’s all the wealthy farmers get rid of so they can be on the Fendt bandwagon.

It’s the MAN diesel engines and the Fendt CVT/braking system that makes them so good. They also have excellent electronics and cab comfort.

My Challenger has an AGCO/Sisu 8.4L (made in Finland) and a Fendt CVT/rear axle/brakes (made in Germany) but the rest is made from all over the world and assembled in USA

Its crazy.

Last edited: