Add muffler?

/ Add muffler? #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
Brutus has a turbo and given the size of machine, is surprisingly quiet (Perkins engine). After wearing ear protection and getting use to THAT level of quiet, the machine seems rather loud when they are off.

I've considered tossing a muffler on the vertical 2" exhaust stack.

any pros/cons of adding a muffler to a machine that I think has never had one?

I know there's no issue of physically adding it, but the potential back pressure for the turbo has me wondering if that would be unhealthy for the turbo.

????

/ Add muffler? #2  
If you use a muffler that does not neck down the exhaust system I don't see that there would be a problem.

/ Add muffler? #3  
With added back pressure, the turbo might not spin up as quickly when you hit the throttle. That is a big deal if you were street racing, but probably no on a tractor.

/ Add muffler? #4  
Chrysler used turbos on alot of there cars, if you use a muffler for one with about the same cu.in. or larger I don't think there would be any restriction IMHO /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Add muffler? #5  
That reminds me of the fact that I took off the muffler on my Powerstroke. Sounds better with a straight pipe.

My friend had a dog by the name of Brutus. He needed a muffler or should I say, a catalytic convertor. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Add muffler?
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( With added back pressure, the turbo might not spin up as quickly when you hit the throttle. That is a big deal if you were street racing, but probably no on a tractor. )</font>

Hmm.. I'll have you know that Brutus can accelerate from a standing stop to 3 mph in a matter of 4.3 seconds!

/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif