Add-On Wood Burning Furnace Install.

/ Add-On Wood Burning Furnace Install. #1  

JSUnlimited

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland
As energy costs continue to rise, my wife and I decided to invest in a alternate and/or supplemental means of heating our home. After lots of research (mostly from this site), I decided to purchase a US Stove Company, Model 1600 from TSC. It was the last one in stock for about a 6 store radius and they said that did not know when they were getting any more.

I thought that I would post pictures of the install process as things happen as to help someone else who might be thinking about doing this as well. Please feel free to comment or share ideas on things that I could do with this install.

Here is the picture of the stove after I brought it home. This being a tractor site, I thought I would mention that I used my little TC to lift it off the trailer (sorry no pictures). This stove is rated for 135,000 BTU's or 3,000 sq. ft. My home is 3 1/2 years old and is about 2500 sq. ft., it should work fine.

US STOVE Model 1600G.

Attachments

• 750529-000_0259 (450 x 600).jpg
    750529-000_0259 (450 x 600).jpg
    61 KB · Views: 3,358
   / Add-On Wood Burning Furnace Install.
Here's the backside where the circulation blower and thermostat electronics attaches. A cold air return box with filter will be built around the blower assembly.

Attachments

• 750532-000_0260 (450 x 600).jpg
    750532-000_0260 (450 x 600).jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 2,347
Obviously this is the firebox. I've taken the grate, fire bricks, ash tray, and doors off the reduce the amount of weight that my buddies and I will have to dolly down the steps.

Attachments

• 750534-000_0260 (450 x 600).jpg
    750534-000_0260 (450 x 600).jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 1,866
This is the basement (looks like a dump) where the furnace will go. No doubt things will get cleaned up and organized when the furnace gets fired up. The furnace will be tied into these trunk lines and auto dampers will be installed above both the existing gas furnace and the new wood burning furnace so that there won't be any backflow issues when either is running.

Attachments

• 750535-000_0260 (450 x 600).jpg
    750535-000_0260 (450 x 600).jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 2,236
Here's the opposite side of the wall where the chimney pipe will be installed. It will be located to the left of the peak. We'll be using this pipe.

Simpson Dura-Plus Pipe.

Probably in the spring we'll build a chase around it and cover with a stone or brick veneer. The chase should help with any "cold chimney" issues.

Attachments

• 750539-000_0260 (450 x 600).jpg
    750539-000_0260 (450 x 600).jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,751
Because the second story wall and peak is further than 10' away from where the pipe will exit, I only have to go just above the first story peak.

Attachments

• 750542-000_0260 (450 x 600).jpg
    750542-000_0260 (450 x 600).jpg
    77 KB · Views: 1,579
So far that's as far is it has gone. The HVAC guy who is doing most of the work is pretty busy and should be here in a couple of weeks. He has a sub-contrc. that is going to core-drill the basement wall to pass the pipe through. Hopefully this set up will help save some money on the gas bill!

In the mean time, time to get to the wood. I have quite a few standing oak trees that are dead that will be brought down very soon.

Next implement that will be added to the grwing collenction hopefully will be one of these!

Attachments

• 750545-1102_lg.jpg
    750545-1102_lg.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 2,220
Stay tuned for more pictures as the work progresses. Advice, questions, comments WELCOME!

BTW, no new tractor pictures either. The TC is at the welder having a custom vertical exhaust fabbed....checked on it yesterday and it looks awesome! Pics when she gets home!

/ Add-On Wood Burning Furnace Install. #9  
Fireman Mega_Me
Will you be adding a firewall (i.e. drywall) above the wood burner to protect the wood joists from high temps?

Any thought to adding some sprinkler heads between the joists as well?

Any idea what the heat tolerance is for the I-joists that have glue and wood flakes bonded (appears to be what you have up there)?

Not negative on your project, at all as I have done similar installation with no problems. Just asking as I have been asked similar questions. I picked up some sprinkler heads and often thought a couple installed to spray on the wood joists and flooring above the wood burner would either save the house if ever needed, or at least give more time. Floor drain just beside the wood burner.

beenthere,

They are very good questions, however I didn't plan on adding a firewall above the furnace and I have not considered any sprinklers. The furnace will not put off enough radiant heat to cause any problems.

I see you looked at my profile, and yes as a career firefighter, I tend to "over analyze" things when it comes to safety and my focus has been more towards the chimney/flue setup more than anything. I can't recall the number of chimney fires we had last year. Most of them were from people burning fireplaces that there was no business burning anything in. I feel pretty confident in the triple wall set-up. However ANYTHING can go wrong and if it does, we have 8 smoke detectors wired such that when 1 is activated they all go off (battery back up too). The kids/spouse are well trained in the art of finding two ways out, stop, drop and roll, etc. As far as prolonging any damage from a fire, chances of saving anything are slim to none around here with the way the politics have taken over at the local volunteer firehouse.

**DISCLAIMER** I am in no way BADMOUTHING volunteers....used to be one for years. It's a great system, however it's one that has no place for politics/personal agendas.