Adding 3 Pt hydraulics to Kubota L5030

/ Adding 3 Pt hydraulics to Kubota L5030 #1  

Michael_C

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L5030,Gearmore
I just received a 2003 L5030 with FEL and BH90 Backhoe. It doesn't have hydraulic cylinder nor lift arms/linkages. I'm looking for the best way to add to the tractor - is the draft control worth adding? How much should I expect to pay to add this? Is Kubota the best source for the parts, or is there a good after market source?
For some reason I haven't got email notification when I had responses to my first post, so I may be slow in responding if someone asks a follow-up question - All information will be appreciated.

Michael

/ Adding 3 Pt hydraulics to Kubota L5030 #2  
I used Kubota everything for mine. Now I wish I wouldn't have for the cylinders. I now understand that Kubota does not use cylinders with double check valves (still not exactly clear on what they are), and the factory Kubota cylinders will leak off over time. It's not really bad, but if you forgot and left a 3 pt. implement up overnight, you would have it tilted far to one side and the top link all the way out by morning. The rest of the setup by Kubota seems nice. I can remove the setup with no tools in about a minute if needed (like to put my PHD on). I'm sure some other people can tell you about what cylinders would be better to use.

/ Adding 3 Pt hydraulics to Kubota L5030
Thanks for the feedback - Is this a typical problem for Kubota cylinders? Sounds like only one of the cylinders leaks if it is tilted (or one leaks more than the other). I'm assuming the leaks are internal where the blow by the check valve causes it to lower?
Any thoughts on the Draft control?. I will be pulling a disc with the L5030 and thought it might be useful.

/ Adding 3 Pt hydraulics to Kubota L5030 #4  
I don't know how you got the tractor without them. The lift arms are removed to install the BH90 but the cylinders remain in place. But that's what you have so I'd say go wih both Kubota cylinders and lift arms. Their cylinders are set up specifically for that application and the lift arms are nice telescoping units, on the 2004 models at least. 2003 too I think? As for leaking down, most any 3PH cylinder is prone to that to my knowldege. Nearly anyone who parks a tractor with ground engaging equipment attached will lower it to the ground before you exit the tractor. So the leak down is moot in that situtation. I could see the complaint perhaps on a 3PH spreader or something you might not always set down between uses, but that's rare.

HTH,

/ Adding 3 Pt hydraulics to Kubota L5030 #5  
I don't think it is worth adding unless you are plowing, subsoiling and using other ground engaging implements.

There is a good discussion of draft control at TractorSmart under the technical section - 3pt. lift types:

draft control

/ Adding 3 Pt hydraulics to Kubota L5030
Thank you for the info on the telescoping lift arms - Is there a good source for buying Kubota parts, like a dealer or website who work on smaller margins?

/ Adding 3 Pt hydraulics to Kubota L5030 #8  
"It's not really bad, but if you forgot and left a 3 pt. implement up overnight, you would have it tilted far to one side and the top link all the way out by morning. "

A basic tenet of tractor safety is to lower any implement during periods of inactivity. This is somewhat irrelevant if one follows common sense safety precautions.